Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Walnuts/other nuts & shells

2 posters

Go down

Walnuts/other nuts & shells Empty Walnuts/other nuts & shells

Post by j.n379 Sun 17 Feb 2019, 8:55 pm

So I have two bags of mixed nuts in their shells. A Christmas gift. As I'm shelling them here, I'm thinking my mice might enjoy playing with the empty shells (which may have traces of the nuts or small pieces because I'm definitely making a mess of it!)
The list here says walnuts are fine, other sites say walnuts are very much NOT fine.

So what I've got here is a mix of
-walnuts with shells
-pecans with shells
-hazelnuts with shells
-just the shell of almonds, I ate all the actual almonds

From what I can tell, any worries about potential cyanide in almonds applies only to Bitter almonds, not the Sweet almonds we consume. It's also unclear if the shell of either contains any.

Is there any portion of these discarded shells that I can save for my mice to play with and chew on?
j.n379
j.n379

Back to top Go down

Walnuts/other nuts & shells Empty Re: Walnuts/other nuts & shells

Post by CallaLily Tue 19 Feb 2019, 5:21 pm

They’re all safe.

I think the confusion with walnuts is similar to the confusion with almonds. From what I’ve read, English Walnuts are safe and Black Walnuts are not. English walnuts are what’s most commonly sold in stores (at least here), Black Walnuts would be clearly labeled as they’re not safe raw for people either from what I understand.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum