Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Supplementing?

5 posters

Go down

Supplementing? Empty Supplementing?

Post by olimarthemouse Fri 24 Jun 2016, 9:10 pm

Ok, so here's the deal: my mouse doesn't like anything I give him, besides cheerios and other treats. I've been giving him cooked carrots for a few months, and he ate them a few times, but he just usually ignores them. Same with broccoli. And I've tried apples, he ignored them; though, I only gave him apples once, I believe. I've tried cucumber (small serving), boiled egg, cantaloupe (I think he likes the cantaloupe, but I don't remember if he ate it all or not). Needless to say, I've tried a lot, and he usually just ignores it all. I know they need to have it introduced to them a few times before they might actually eat it, but he doesn't really eat anything but his food, oats, cheerios, papayas, and the Gerber puff snacks.

I know they need to have their diets supplemented, but if he doesn't like anything, what's the point?
olimarthemouse
olimarthemouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sweet Tooth

https://www.youtube.com/c/HannahsAnimals

Back to top Go down

Supplementing? Empty Re: Supplementing?

Post by scaredymouse Fri 24 Jun 2016, 9:25 pm

Before giving up completely, try kale (especially Lacinato variety). Kale is one of the few things that every single one of my critters likes. Most mice also like walnuts, flaxseeds, and dried mealworms.

Unfortunately, there aren't any good supplements out there for mice.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by olimarthemouse Fri 24 Jun 2016, 9:57 pm

scaredymouse wrote:Before giving up completely, try kale (especially Lacinato variety).  Kale is one of the few things that every single one of my critters likes.  Most mice also like walnuts, flaxseeds, and dried mealworms.

Unfortunately, there aren't any good supplements out there for mice.

Thank you! I will give that a go! I plan on getting some mealworms, too. Would it be ok to buy one of the bags made for birds? You get a lot more for your money.
olimarthemouse
olimarthemouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Fri 24 Jun 2016, 10:51 pm

Bird ones are perfectly good—I've read that before as some advice to look in the bird section for cheaper prices!

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by olimarthemouse Sat 25 Jun 2016, 7:48 am

Artistwolf wrote:Bird ones are perfectly good—I've read that before as some advice to look in the bird section for cheaper prices!

Ok. great! The bird ones are like a 2 lb bag for $10, whereas the the reptile ones are $6 for a very small bottle. Thanks!
olimarthemouse
olimarthemouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by River Sat 25 Jun 2016, 11:15 am

I have somewhat the same problem! Have you tried celery? Its one of the only things mine accepts. Kale, like scaredy said, is pretty popular among all my pets as well.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Sat 25 Jun 2016, 5:42 pm

I noticed you said the carrots were cooked. Have you tried them raw? In my experience, mice tend to prefer foods with a crunchier texture (mine do anyway hehe). How did you serve the veggies? He may be more likely to eat them if they are cut up into little pieces that he can easily pick up and run off with.

Just keep trying for now. What I do, so that it's no hassle or waste, I just put aside a bit of what I'm having. If I'm going to eat an apple, I cut off a little bit and give it to them. Or if I'm cooking and preparing veggies, I just put a little bit aside.

You could try mushrooms - I occasionally give the little standard mushrooms (are they called button mushrooms or something?). Science has shown them to be FANTASTIC for mouse immune systems. Now, some of mine have eaten them. The ones who didn't eat it, seemed to have a lot of fun ripping the mushroom to shreds, so beware it could be messy Laughing

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by olimarthemouse Sat 25 Jun 2016, 8:03 pm

MouseLover wrote:I noticed you said the carrots were cooked. Have you tried them raw? In my experience, mice tend to prefer foods with a crunchier texture (mine do anyway hehe). How did you serve the veggies? He may be more likely to eat them if they are cut up into little pieces that he can easily pick up and run off with.

Just keep trying for now. What I do, so that it's no hassle or waste, I just put aside a bit of what I'm having. If I'm going to eat an apple, I cut off a little bit and give it to them. Or if I'm cooking and preparing veggies, I just put a little bit aside.

You could try mushrooms - I occasionally give the little standard mushrooms (are they called button mushrooms or something?). Science has shown them to be FANTASTIC for mouse immune systems. Now, some of mine have eaten them. The ones who didn't eat it, seemed to have a lot of fun ripping the mushroom to shreds, so beware it could be messy Laughing

I don't know if I've tried them raw. He won't eat raw veggies that I've tried either. And I read that they like them smaller pieces, and he still won't eat them.

Thanks so much! I'll think about giving the mushrooms a go!
olimarthemouse
olimarthemouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: