Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Found a mouse...

+5
Rodents rock!
River
Peachy
CallaLily
libbylovesmice
9 posters

Go down

Found a mouse... Empty Found a mouse...

Post by libbylovesmice Wed 29 Jun 2016, 6:36 pm

Sorry if this is in the wrong category! We have a pair of mice running around our basement recently, so my dad bought humane mouse traps and set them out in hopes of catching the two of them. At this point, they've been out for almost two weeks. Every afternoon, I go down to check the traps to see if anything's in them, and today we caught one. I know I should release it, but it's so darn cute! I'm definentely not thinking of keeping it, but I'm going to have a hard time letting it go.

libbylovesmice

Gemini Elated

Back to top Go down

Found a mouse... Empty Re: Found a mouse...

Post by CallaLily Wed 29 Jun 2016, 6:46 pm

It is tough. I still think of the young little mouse we released at the far edge of my MIL's farm. I wonder how she made out. But I know it was in her best interest.

If you scroll down some in this thread, there are tips on where and how to release them to ensure they have the best possible chance. https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t4-wild-mouse-mice-care-and-information

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Wed 29 Jun 2016, 7:17 pm

I was sad to release a mouse that a stray cat brought to me. I kept him for a couple nights so he could get himself together. I like to think of all the stories he ought to be telling the other wild mice since I let him go. Haha

We have a mouse in our kitchen that we've been trying to catch for months. I named him Jerry. One day it was really quiet and out of the corner of my eye I saw him running circles around my sleeping dog, collecting loose cat food. lol
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by River Wed 29 Jun 2016, 7:37 pm

For loving tame mice, I've always feared wild ones. Not sure why!

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Wed 29 Jun 2016, 8:00 pm

ThePetekeyPrep wrote:For loving tame mice, I've always feared wild ones. Not sure why!

I know the wild mice can carry diseases, that is why I would fear them.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Wed 29 Jun 2016, 9:17 pm

Honestly, all wild animals can carry diseases. I'm not gonna be scared of all wild animals just because of what they might do. I've got vaccines on my side! Very Happy 

Good luck catching those wild mice! It's good of your dad to use humane traps. I haven't ever seen a wild mouse, but ten years ago or so we had them in our country house in Connecticut. My parents used the bad traps. Sad

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Thu 30 Jun 2016, 7:52 am

Apparently squirrels carry more diseases than rats and mice, and yet no one hates squirrels! Mice/rats get all the bad press Sad

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Thu 30 Jun 2016, 11:22 am

abeona wrote:
We have a mouse in our kitchen that we've been trying to catch for months. I named him Jerry. One day it was really quiet and out of the corner of my eye I saw him running circles around my sleeping dog, collecting loose cat food. lol

Laugh

We had one over the winter that I saw making off with a cheeto. It was the cutest thing. I never did catch it or see it again.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Thu 30 Jun 2016, 12:18 pm

abeona, lol!

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Thu 30 Jun 2016, 1:27 pm

I must say, I am always a bit skeptical when people say they have "A mouse" in their house... we all know they travel in numbers Wink

I used to live in a house with mice and I could hear them scratching inside my bedroom wall at night. I love mice but it did give me the creeps.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Thu 30 Jun 2016, 2:12 pm

True, true. I only saw the one at that time though.  Laughing

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Thu 30 Jun 2016, 2:28 pm

Lol, I was jumpy after I saw it collecting cat food. I tip toed around the kitchen and cleaned like crazy. One smart mouse that avoids our traps is plenty! Wink

Actually, we had never seen a wild mouse before and have only seen this one twice. My gerbils escaped once and we knew they were under the stove because the cats wouldn't go away. We have three cats now, I have no idea why they're not going crazy over Jerry's presence. lol
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue Thu 30 Jun 2016, 7:21 pm

Here's my little story. I lived in Germany for 3 1/2 years with the American Army as a wife. We lived off-base on a German farm. In our little cabin, at night, we could hear the mice running around in the attic. I knew the landlord would exterminate them after we left before the next tenants would move in. I could not bear the thought of them being killed. So while we were there, I collected them all by enticing them into a cage with food, and sitting in the dark waiting to drop the lid. After I had the whole family, I put them in a large hamster cage with lots of tubes, bedding, etc. I fed them well. We were only there at that farm a few months after I captured them, so when we were ready to move, I carried them out to the fields and let them all go. They scampered away happily.
I guess I never forgot how cute little mice are and happy I have these I have from the pet shop. I have been keeping mice since 2012 when my vet gave me one.

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Thu 30 Jun 2016, 10:52 pm

essentiallysue wrote:Here's my little story. I lived in Germany for 3 1/2 years with the American Army as a wife. We lived off-base on a German farm. In our little cabin, at night, we could hear the mice running around in the attic. I knew the landlord would exterminate them after we left before the next tenants would move in. I could not bear the thought of them being killed. So while we were there, I collected them all by enticing them into a cage with food, and sitting in the dark waiting to drop the lid. After I had the whole family, I put them in a large hamster cage with lots of tubes, bedding, etc. I fed them well. We were only there at that farm a few months after I captured them, so when we were ready to move, I carried them out to the fields and let them all go. They scampered away happily.
I guess I never forgot how cute little mice are and happy I have these I have from the pet shop. I have been keeping mice since 2012 when my vet gave me one.

Awww such a sweet and happy story. Very Happy Thanks for sharing.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down