Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Feeding only one seed mix?

2 posters

Go down

Feeding only one seed mix? Empty Feeding only one seed mix?

Post by Robin~ Wed 05 Jun 2019, 8:37 am

Hello!

So, from what I can see, most foods you guys recommend have a good GA from the get go. It might just be that, being a hamster mom, I'm not used to being able to feed one food lol, but I just want to make sure that's ok.

I may also mix two seed mixes if you think it's worth doing so for the variety. The two I'm thinking about are the first two foods on the recommended food list (sun seed parakeet and Vitakraft parakeet).

Or, if I need a pellet I have some Mazuri Rat and Mouse for my ham that I could use.

Thank you in advance!

~Robin
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Feeding only one seed mix? Empty Re: Feeding only one seed mix?

Post by CallaLily Wed 05 Jun 2019, 1:01 pm

You can just feed one type of seed mix, but you’re right that variety is important too!  Mixing two good seed mixes with differing ingredients is a great way to increase variety. You could also calculate a safe amount of the high protein blocks you have on hand so as not to add too much protein but still be able to supplement with them. Or you can seek out a lower protein block food. I really liked Supreme Science Selective Mouse Food, but it’s not readily available in the U.S.  They do have a Rat version that is sometimes available here that is just as good. Supplementing with a block food is great imo, but many here do not and that’s ok too! Please do offer fresh veg at least a couple times a week though. Feeder insects (fresh or dried) also make a great addition a few times a week. Smile

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Wed 05 Jun 2019, 4:02 pm

CallaLily wrote:You can just feed one type of seed mix, but you’re right that variety is important too!  Mixing two good seed mixes with differing ingredients is a great way to increase variety. You could also calculate a safe amount of the high protein blocks you have on hand so as not to add too much protein but still be able to supplement with them. Or you can seek out a lower protein block food. I really liked Supreme Science Selective Mouse Food, but it’s not readily available in the U.S.  They do have a Rat version that is sometimes available here that is just as good.  Supplementing with a block food is great imo, but many here do not and that’s ok too!  Please do offer fresh veg at least a couple times a week though.  Feeder insects (fresh or dried) also make a great addition a few times a week.  Smile

Alright, thanks!

Oh and yeah, I'll definitely be feeding fresh veg daily. I also have some mealworms and Zilla Omnivore (contains crickets and silkworm pupae as well as freeze dried veggies (such as bok choy and carrots)) as well as a bunch of types of seeds/grains (like chia, flax, barley, millet, etc.) from past hams, so those should make for nice treats Smile
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down