Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New mouse owner w/ a few questions!!

3 posters

Go down

New mouse owner w/ a few questions!! Empty New mouse owner w/ a few questions!!

Post by brownedelish Tue 11 Jun 2019, 2:56 am

Hey everyone!!

Just got a new male mouse a few weeks ago and loving the hobby so far (he’s bonding with me super quick which helps)!! Just had a couple of quick questions:

1. I’ve been feeding him Brown’s carnival mix for hamsters and gerbils as recommended by the nutrition sticky with a few treats a week. However, he doesn’t eat most of the food and just picks out what he likes - is this ok? Also how often should I replace his food?
2. He’s super messy!! He pushes the bedding all over the place, often filling up the food bowl with bedding and pushing it out of the cage’s wiring. Is this normal?

Thank you in advance!

brownedelish

Back to top Go down

New mouse owner w/ a few questions!! Empty Re: New mouse owner w/ a few questions!!

Post by Sparrow Tue 11 Jun 2019, 3:37 am

Hello and Welcome!

1. If you have a picky eater, what you could do is not refill the food until it's almost gone from the bowl. The mouse won't let itself starve and it's important that he gets the full nutrition from the food mix.

2. It might just be the case that there is simply too much bedding. Almost all of my mice do that in a tantrum if they feel that they were given too much bedding. Purposefully reducing the amount by pushing most out through the wires. An inch or two of bedding should be enough. What you might want to do is make a platform to put the food bowl on so it cannot be buried, a platform can be very easily made with some popstickle sticks or a small cardboard box.

Sparrow
Sparrow

Chatty

Back to top Go down

New mouse owner w/ a few questions!! Empty Re: New mouse owner w/ a few questions!!

Post by CallaLily Tue 11 Jun 2019, 2:32 pm

Yep, wait to refill his dish until he’s eaten most of it. That will keep him from eating only his favorites.

Totally normal behavior with the bedding. Smile

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum