Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strange behavior?

3 posters

Go down

Strange behavior? Empty Strange behavior?

Post by Basilandrosie Thu 13 Jun 2019, 10:12 pm

So I’ve been a mouse owner for a while now and I’ve always gotten male mice, I recently adopted two females. One is working with me nicely and I’m able to hand tame her like I did to my males. But my other female Rosie is very…hyper. I’m unable to even get her to come near me. She jumps all over the cage in order to get away from me. Even when I manage to get her out of the cage she immediately jumps right out of my hands and onto the floor. Today I tried working with her and she bit me! If you have any advice please give it to me. The last thing I want to do it return Rosie to the store.

Thanks in advance!

Basilandrosie

Back to top Go down

Strange behavior? Empty Re: Strange behavior?

Post by PeachesandPepper92918 Thu 13 Jun 2019, 10:26 pm

My mouse Pepper is just like this. I put my hand in the cage and [i]zoom[i] she’s gone. I’m still fairly new to mice, but I’m pretty sure your mouse is just very skittish, and you’ll probably just have to take things very slow. I basically just take a few minutes to have my hand rest on the bottom of the cage, or I move her into a play pen and give her a chance to just climb on me. I’ve had her for about 9 months now, and she has only just recently been climbing on my hand the way my other mice do, but if I make a sudden movement or noise she bolts. Every mouse is different, and some take longer to trust then others. Just try to be patient, and she’ll eventually learn you’re her friend. Very Happy

Current mice: Pheobe, Blossom, Daffodil, Zinnia, Marigold,
and Aster
Remembering: Peaches, Pepper, Tulip, Orchid, Iris, Luna, Noche, Mrs. Frisby, Daisy, and Benson
PeachesandPepper92918
PeachesandPepper92918

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Fri 14 Jun 2019, 12:48 pm

Yep, each mouse is different and some take more time to trust. You may have to slow things down a bit with her. I’ve had a couple super skittish girls but with time and patience they mostly came around. And then some mice never really seem to enjoy handling, though you should be able to at least build a little trust so that she’s not freaking out every time you’re there.

With the very jumpy girls I had, I would do the usual daily taming/play sessions that I’ve done with all my mice, moving them over to a safe neutral play space (I used a big sterilite bin). New mice or super nervous mice were gently transferred over using a tube or box, letting them go in themselves of course. Then I slowly introduce my hand to them in the play bin. Most of my mice worked up the nerve to investigate my hand and then climb on for rides from one side of the bin to the other (the beginning of working up to being held). But for the scaredy mice who wouldn’t, I instead offered a tube for them to climb on for rides — the trick being to hop off at the end of the ride, they had to step on my hand. Never grabbing at them, just my hand as a step down. At first they would dart out, barely touching me. With time they figured out I meant no harm and wouldn’t be in a big rush. From there, most of the scaredy mice moved on to the more typical hand taming that the others did - though few really enjoyed hanging out with me the same way my boy mouse did, preferring to just climb on and off of me at playtime instead of hanging out on a shoulder or in a pocket or hood. But I had one girl in particular who was never interested in hanging out or interacting with me. She still enjoyed play time in the bin with her cage mates but ignored me completely until it was time to go home. That was the only time she’d willingly climb on my hand, when she knew playtime was over and I was moving her straight back to their cage.

So yeah, just time and patience. No grabbing, no scooping, or forcing the issue in any way. Just gentle interaction in a safe neutral space, allowing her to choose to climb into your hand when she comes around.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down