Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mice without fur on face area

2 posters

Go down

Mice without fur on face area Empty Mice without fur on face area

Post by mousymom191 Fri 26 Jul 2019, 11:36 pm

Hi! I have two female mice and both of them seem to be losing/lost fur on their snouts/facial area.
  Here's some background info:

• They had a sister who passed away due to a respiratory infection and fluid within her

• Both have taken medicine to prevent them from getting a respiratory infection

• They live in a bin cage that is about 525 square inches

• I give them paper bedding

• They do groom each other in that region a lot

So basically I'm wondering if this should be something to be concerned about, or if it's just overgrooming (and if it is, what should I do to help it?)

mousymom191
Jr Member
Jr Member

Libra Sheepish

Back to top Go down

Mice without fur on face area Empty Re: Mice without fur on face area

Post by Peachy Fri 26 Jul 2019, 11:59 pm

Hello. If they both seem to be losing fur I’d initially suspect a couple issues before overgrooming:

1. Potential allergies. This is most common with wood based bedding or toys but can occur with most any objects. This can also occur with foods. What are you feeding? What are the crude protein amounts and ingredients? What kind of treats do you offer?

2. External parasites. Mites are so common with pet store mice that we recommend treating every mouse that comes into your home as part of the quarantine process. If you have fleas in your environment mice can get these too.

This link has great info on both allergies and parasites, as well as a treatment plan that forum members have used for years to treat their mice for mites.
http://www.petmousefanciers.com/t17-itching-hair-loss-and-parasites

This can be frustrating to sort out so if you can’t get it cleared up or would like further info I would recommend consulting with a vet.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by mousymom191 Sat 27 Jul 2019, 12:40 am

Peachy wrote:Hello. If they both seem to be losing fur I’d initially suspect a couple issues before overgrooming:

1. Potential allergies. This is most common with wood based bedding or toys but can occur with most any objects. This can also occur with foods. What are you feeding? What are the crude protein amounts and ingredients? What kind of treats do you offer?

2. External parasites. Mites are so common with pet store mice that we recommend treating every mouse that comes into your home as part of the quarantine process. If you have fleas in your environment mice can get these too.

This link has great info on both allergies and parasites, as well as a treatment plan that forum members have used for years to treat their mice for mites.
http://www.petmousefanciers.com/t17-itching-hair-loss-and-parasites

This can be frustrating to sort out so if you can’t get it cleared up or would like further info I would recommend consulting with a vet.

Hi! Thank you for your advice. It's very late right now but tomorrow I will start looking into their food and maybe switch up their bedding to see if allergies is the cause

mousymom191
Jr Member
Jr Member

Libra Sheepish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum