Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New/accidental breeder please help

3 posters

Go down

New/accidental breeder please help Empty New/accidental breeder please help

Post by Fancykate Mon 12 Aug 2019, 10:06 am

Hi there! My female gave birth to 7 pinkies this morning and when I checked in on them I saw the male was mating with her every time she tried to get near the nest so I took him out. I read that it is possible for a female to go into heat and get pregnant within hours after giving birth but it is not good for the mother or the babies. I have 4 month old males from a previous litter of hers. Would it be a good idea to try to utilize the Bruce effect to terminate a possible new pregnany? I was also wondering if I could add one or two of her daughters to the nursery to help raise the litter? I did not intend to breed my mice the first time and the second time was due to a faulty divider and a very determined male. Any and all advice would be much appreciated ( :

Fancykate

Back to top Go down

New/accidental breeder please help Empty Re: New/accidental breeder please help

Post by CallaLily Mon 12 Aug 2019, 12:29 pm

Hello! Welcome Sign

I don’t have any experience in breeding mice so have no advice but I wanted to leave this link for you in case you haven’t come across it yet. http://www.petmousefanciers.com/t43-breeding-packet.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Veronicapc Wed 21 Aug 2019, 10:13 pm

I wouldn’t add any more male mice - it’s not worth the risk. They could eat the babies, stress out the mom, or just impregnate her again. You could add more females to help out, but be careful with that too.

Veronicapc

Libra Inspired

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum