Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oldest Mice in the World?

4 posters

Go down

Oldest Mice in the World? Empty Oldest Mice in the World?

Post by CallaLily Sun 03 Jul 2016, 9:18 am

Though there are a few people on the Facebook group where this article was shared who claim they've had mice live to 3, 4, even 5 years old. One claims they have one about to turn 6.   Shocked

The article is from February.
https://www.jax.org/news-and-insights/jax-blog/2016/february/the-golden-girls-of-laboratory-mice

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Oldest Mice in the World? Empty Re: Oldest Mice in the World?

Post by CinnamonPearl Sun 03 Jul 2016, 9:27 am

Some people just get lucky! My friend had a boy named Perry (short for Mortal Peril) who lived to four. NM told me once that some mice are still carrying really good genes from lab breeding or something, so they have more longevity. It's mostly common in PEWs.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Sun 03 Jul 2016, 10:17 am

Yeah there are a few lines of lab mice that live really long. It's a shame not all mice can live that long Sad

I must admit, I am skeptical of regular pet shop mice living til 5 or 6. 3 or 4 would be amazing enough. Maybe people get confused... e.g. my mouse who lived for 2 year 7 months, her life spanned over 4 calendar years, if that makes sense? Don't mean to not believe people haha, it's just in my nature to be skeptical lol.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 03 Jul 2016, 10:26 am

MouseLover wrote:Maybe people get confused... e.g. my mouse who lived for 2 year 7 months, her life spanned over 4 calendar years, if that makes sense?

I've wondered about that too. Plus I read somewhere that birthdays are counted a bit different in some countries?  For example where most here in the U.S. would count a child's 1st birthday as the one occuring 12 months after they're born, some cultures consider that their 2nd birthday.  Not sure how true it is and I only vaguely remember reading about it.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sun 03 Jul 2016, 11:53 am

Two year old mice look rough, I can't imagine a six year old mouse! Interesting article. I kinda laughed at "We take care to cup them in our hands instead of lifting them by their tails with forceps." How kind. Laughing
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 03 Jul 2016, 12:49 pm

abeona wrote:I kinda laughed at "We take care to cup them in our hands instead of lifting them by their tails with forceps." How kind. Laughing

Right. Laughing

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Sun 03 Jul 2016, 4:40 pm

Oh gosh Sad that's a bit of an eye opener to how mice would usually be treated isn't it? Poor meeces.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Mon 04 Jul 2016, 8:05 am

Yeah. I don't get why it would be necessary to grab them by the tail, especially with forceps. Sounds painful. Glad their oldies don't have to deal with that.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down