Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What to do for mouse who’s only cagemate died?

2 posters

Go down

What to do for mouse who’s only cagemate died? Empty What to do for mouse who’s only cagemate died?

Post by blela Tue 10 Sep 2019, 3:38 pm

Polaris, one of my two mice passed away yesterday. She was a year old. I’m not entirely sure of the reason, it was  random and she was seeming fine earlier in the week. Her friend and cagemate Andra is now all alone in her cage, and I am wondering if I should just up the attention I give her or get her a new cagemate or two. She is a year old as well and I got her from Petsmart (before I heard that you aren’t supposed to get mice from there). I found a few mice on Craigslist that I think would make good friends for her, but I’ve read two different opinions on what to do (though both were for other people). Do you recommend I just A) give her more treats and attention, or B) also get her new friend(s)? Additionally, how long should I wait before getting her a new cagemate?
blela
blela

Back to top Go down

What to do for mouse who’s only cagemate died? Empty Re: What to do for mouse who’s only cagemate died?

Post by Robin~ Tue 10 Sep 2019, 9:26 pm

Hello!

I think it would be great if possible to get her some new friends. However, keep in mind you should quarantine the new mice for at least two months in a separate area, so until that time is over and your mice are ready to bond I would treat her like a male mouse (ie give her lots of attention, things to do in and outside of the cage, etc.).

I think this topic will be helpful for when you have to bond Smile
http://www.petmousefanciers.com/t19-keeping-mice-together-introducing-them

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum