Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two or Three?

2 posters

Go down

Two or Three? Empty Two or Three?

Post by RustHeart Sun 15 Sep 2019, 9:56 am

I currently have two female mice in a ten gallon tank. I have heard that groups of three are better and I am wondering if I should get a third. I am a first time mouse owner but I have had a lot of rats in the past including ones I needed to tame. I know mice and rats arent the same but I feel like the experience may help with mice.

Is a ten gallon enough for three or will I have to look into getting an upgrade?
I've had my mice for two days, if I get the third from the same place will they still remember or will I have to do introductions? If so how is that done? Is it alike from rat introductions?

RustHeart

Back to top Go down

Two or Three? Empty Re: Two or Three?

Post by RustHeart Sun 15 Sep 2019, 12:48 pm

Hopefully people would have said three because I got a third. She went right with the rest no issues.

RustHeart

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Sun 15 Sep 2019, 3:39 pm

Hello!

Yes, three is typically better than two when it comes to girls. That way if one passes the other won’t be left alone with the new mouse is in quarantine/being bonded.

Generally for new mice you’ll want to put them into a 1-2 month quarantine. I don’t think there’s much point in pulling them apart now but just for the future that’s a pretty standard practice Smile

As for the cage size, you technically can get by with a 10g but I’m sure it’s crowding up rather quickly! 20 gallon tanks and 110-200qt storage bin are nice options.

I would keep a close eye on their dynamics and temporarily separate if blood is drawn Smile

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by RustHeart Sun 15 Sep 2019, 5:48 pm

Usually I would have quarantined them but they all came from the same place and two days earlier they were in the same cage together anyway.

For now I'll keep them in the ten gallon while I bond with them and in the future I'll upgrade it.

RustHeart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum