Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

giving medication? And what is wrong with her? Please help

2 posters

Go down

giving medication?  And what is wrong with her? Please help Empty giving medication? And what is wrong with her? Please help

Post by Piethemouse Fri 27 Sep 2019, 10:36 pm

Revently I brought 3 young (pet store) mice home. One of them, my little Edith, always seemed a bit off---generally slower, less active and less agile than the others. At first I thought maybe it was just her personality but I still kept an eye on her. After a couple weeks I became more worried when I saw her scratching a lot, creating some minor thin patches. (her fur is just thin in general)

So I took her to the vet, but they couldn't find anything wrong with her. She acknowledged the thin patch but concluded she was healthy and to just make sure it doesn't get worse.

And it didnt until last night when I found her hunched over, not moving a lot, breathing rapidly with crackling sounds. Id never seen her like this before. I handle them daily and never heard any crackling. I know mice are good at hiding illnesses, but it just struck me as odd. She was also acting strange in general, standing hunched in weird places she wouldn't normally be. Weirder still, these places were out in the open. I was surprised she wasn't hiding??? I don't know. I tried offering her food/treats and she wouldn't take them.

So I took her to the ER today. Again, they couldn't find anything medically wrong with her... They listened to her lungs but said they sounded fine. They didnt feel any fluid in her abdoman. No discharge from her nosr and her eyes look good. It's so weird because the crackling sounded bad to me. It seems to come and go though, so maybe they just couldn't hear it at that time. Still, based on her symptoms they did prescribe her enrofloxacin (10 days) and meloxicam (3 days)

Any idea what could be going on? I mean it seems like a URI....But it's just weird the vets keep saying she seems healthy

TLDR went to ER, mouse not eating, hunched over, possible URI, prescribed meds based on symptoms I'm describing but they checked her out and said she seemed healthy. Why is this happening

And so I can't get her to take the medicine. She won't eat so I can't put it on food. I ended up just booping it on her nose so that She had to lick it off. But I'm stressing out that she won't be getting enough of it since it's such a small amount in the first place. Am I doing the right thing? Does anyone have suggestions for administering the medicine?

1. How do I give her the medicine
2. Why do you think the vets can't find anything wrong with her?

Unsure how experienced first vet is with mice (exotic vet but still), emergency vet seemed better with Edith.

More info:
She lives with two other mice who are fine
They eat vitakraft vitasmart parakeet
Kaytee paper bedding
20 gallon long
Edith is currently separated from her cagemates

Sorry if this is disorganized but hopefully it's coherent enough, I'm so stressed and worried for my Edith. If you read this thanks.

Piethemouse

Back to top Go down

giving medication?  And what is wrong with her? Please help Empty Re: giving medication? And what is wrong with her? Please help

Post by Robin~ Sat 28 Sep 2019, 8:53 am

Hello!

Keep in mind the term exotic can apply to many things. I know the one near by specializes in reptiles so when I took my hamster there he seemed a little uncomfortable. However, he’s very involved in reptile events around our community and I know I ton of reptile owners that strongly recommend him. I just kind of depends. It also may have to do with who was in that day— I’ve heard of cases where people have taken their pets to the exotic vet to find out they were out that day and were seen by the clinic’s unknowing companion vet instead :/

As for how, I strongly suggest calling up the clinic, but generally, at least for ingested liquids, you’ll want to carefully feed through the side of the mouth, very slowly to prevent choking. If you’re mouse isn’t fond of the taste you may have to have someone restrain her while you feed or vice versa. But, as I said, the ER personnel should be able to give you some more direct advice Smile

Last edited by Robin~ on Sat 28 Sep 2019, 9:02 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : My brain keeps skipping over stuff :/ great job on being thorough!)
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

giving medication?  And what is wrong with her? Please help Empty Re: giving medication? And what is wrong with her? Please help

Post by Piethemouse Mon 30 Sep 2019, 12:51 pm

Thank you for your response! It is greatly appreciated. I contacted the ER vets and they helped me out! Also Edith started eating and drinking again and is starting to act like herself. Thanks again for caring :]

Piethemouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum