Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weight Gain Explanation?

2 posters

Go down

Weight Gain Explanation?  Empty Weight Gain Explanation?

Post by HWN2013 Tue 08 Oct 2019, 9:01 pm

Hi, 3 year on mouse owner here now.

Recently my mouse Tammy started gaining a lot of weight in August, When I adopted her in April she was normal weight and 2 months old - is there an explanation how this happened?
The other 2 mice she lives with are of normal weight and I keep them at a nice diet. If this helps at all: When I got her I had 4 other mice - 2 of which have since passed on.
If age means anything: Tammy is only 7 months old, where as the other 2 mice are 1 year and almost 7 months. (They're sisters - Wasn't a planned birth, didn't know the mouse was pregnant lol)

Weight Gain Explanation?  Screen10

Proud Owner of 10 Mice:

Checkers ♂ (Adopted: 7-30-21) [Was told was a girl.]
Almond ♀ (Adopted: 7-30-21)
Ash ♀ (Adopted: 7-30-21)
--
Checkers & Almond's Kids (Oops):
Bobby D. ♂ (Born: 11-04-21)
Checks ♀ (Born: 11-04-21)
Lucille ♀ (Born: 11-04-21)
Vanna ♀ (Born: 11-04-21)
Ingrid ♀ (Born: 11-04-21)
Zora ♀ (Born: 11-04-21)
Ollie ♀ (Born: 11-04-21)
HWN2013
HWN2013

Sagittarius Artistic

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4bMtpmXSzAfMwsCXgCpkAA

Back to top Go down

Weight Gain Explanation?  Empty Re: Weight Gain Explanation?

Post by CallaLily Wed 09 Oct 2019, 4:57 pm

Tammy looks to be a Brindle mouse to me. Brindle mice (and sometimes yellow mice) are said to be genetically prone to obesity. There isn’t really much you can do about it. Mice have very high metabolisms so need to eat small frequent meals throughout the day/night, so you can’t really safely limit their main staple food. But you can provide plenty of opportunities for exercise by changing toys up a lot, giving more (supervised) out-of-cage play time, placing the food dish higher or scatter feeding or food puzzles to make them work for it. Cut out any sugary junk treats completely and limit fatty treats. You can also slowly up their fresh veggies to small amounts daily, just be sure it doesn’t ever overtake their main staple food.

This will mainly be in effort to keep things from getting severely out of control, not to lose. Hope this helps.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down