Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Homemade mouse diet?

2 posters

Go down

Homemade mouse diet? Empty Homemade mouse diet?

Post by Grasshopper Sun 13 Oct 2019, 7:46 am

I am researching about mice as pets and when searching appropriate food, i could not find any thing. A lot of them have raisins and peanuts or there is to much protein(similar problems are with bird food). So for last 2 weeks i have been researching homemade diets for mice(i have researched this topic before, but not for mice specifically) and i have made some food idea, but it 100% not even close to what i imagine the final product. Any suggestions and ideas are going to help.

Oats                  200g
Amaranth   50g
Millet         100g
Buckwheat 100g
Rice                 100g
Brown rice 70g
Couscous   100g
Quinoa               50g
Sesame seeds     20g
Hemp seeds       100g
Pumpkin seeds   20g
Cashew nuts      50g
Pasta                30g
Sunflower seeds 10g

Proteins - 12.04%
Fat - 8.39%
Fibre - 6.78%
For extra protein nutritional yeast will be added

Grasshopper

Gemini Artistic

Back to top Go down

Homemade mouse diet? Empty Re: Homemade mouse diet?

Post by Robin~ Sun 13 Oct 2019, 8:26 am

Hello!

Not super experienced in homemade mixing but I do have some pointers Smile

Sunflower seeds can potentially be allergens, so I think it would be best if you just saved those as occasional treats Smile I can’t find anything on cashews but seeing as it is a pretty common human allergy I may avoid it for the same reasons.

The fat is also looking a little high; typically about 5% is your goal. Smile

For protein, if you have access to freeze-dried crickets those can be a great addition. Chia seed and flax seed are also pretty high in protein, but also quite high in fat. However, I don’t think I see any issues with 12% protein anyhow.

For rice, I would stick with just whole grain. White rice simply isn’t as healthy, and it’s best to load your babies with as much nutrients as possible.

Something else to potentially look into are freeze-dried veggies. They have a great amount of minerals and fiber that can really be great as a main part of the diet. These can be hard to find in some places, but if you have the cash dehydrators aren’t super expensive.

Lastly (and this is likely just an opinion), my girls have really liked having a lot of millet in their mix, so maybe bringing that up a bit can be beneficial if your GA allows it.

Best of luck!

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Grasshopper Sun 13 Oct 2019, 8:54 am

Thank you for fast replay Smile I will be playing around with numbers and other seeds and grains. I found information that mice under 6 months should have 14%-16% of protein in their diet, so i thought that yeast could work as i found that the only store that might sell some insects doesn't restock often. Can i use herbs and fresh veggies instead of veggies?

Grasshopper

Gemini Artistic

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Sun 13 Oct 2019, 8:56 am

Grasshopper wrote: Thank you for fast replay Smile I will be playing around with numbers and other seeds and grains. I found information that mice under 6 months should have 14%-16% of protein in their diet, so i thought that yeast could work as i found that the only store that might sell some insects doesn't restock often. Can i use herbs and fresh veggies instead of veggies?

I would just be careful with the yeast as you don’t know how much protein you’re putting into it (unless you weigh it, of course).

As for fresh veg, just keep in mind you’ll have to give exact amounts of it every day and it won’t be as concentrated as the veg will still have its water content.
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum