Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting sad for him... he's asking your help!

2 posters

Go down

Getting sad for him... he's asking your help! Empty Getting sad for him... he's asking your help!

Post by MicoMice Tue 05 Nov 2019, 9:39 am

So I have been having my little dear Pop for 8 months now! He's probably 9.

However, while is past brothers bonded very quickly with me, Pop is still very scared of me. I have tried everything, spent hours near his cage, picked him up gently, letting him go whenever he felt like it.

At first, he would run as soon as I would open the cage, now he tolerates my hand being around and checks if it got a treat. I used to give him plenty, it worked at first to reach that stage, but now it doesn't. I don't see any further improvements.

Since he's alone, I figured let's get him an extension of his cage, so I took some of my spared money for my little friend but sadly as soon sa the cage got bigger he started to run away from me again. So sadly, I got back to the basic solo size I had, maybe a bit small for him, but at least I can try to keep taming him.

The thing is, I'm sad for him. Our interactions are probably stressing him more out than anything. He started to get some eczema, sratches a lot. I suspect it comes from the sratching, due to boredom. I sometimes take him out of his cage and let him have fun on my desk. I haven't cleaned up, so he knows this place is safe. A bit dirty for me, but I want my little Pop to be happy Sad

I have accepted we might never get along, but I'm okay with that. I just feel he's miserable. So while getting us to be friends could definitely help him, I think the real question is: how can I make his life funnier and more exciting?

I think I might just install the second extension again. Add variety to his cage, like boxes etc, like I used to. Buy him more treats. Think I'll stop monitoring his food and let him eat what he wants, so he can enjoy his meals while he still can. By that I don't meanjust treats, but no more baseline crackers, but more seeds and stuff he can pick from.
I have tried tons of fruits and vegetables, fresh: he didn't like any, just dried fruits, especially bananas.

But I know he would only lack interactions he seems to need if I do so. So I'm hesitating a lot: start to pick him up and have him go on me, and hopefully with time he'll get used to it, or let him and try to work in the "background" to make his time on earth as enjoyable as possible?

In the name of my dear Pop, many thanks!

Wishful

Back to top Go down

Getting sad for him... he's asking your help! Empty Re: Getting sad for him... he's asking your help!

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Tue 05 Nov 2019, 10:27 am

I don't have any guarantees, but some things you might try are:

1) Keep Pop as close by you as you can for as many hours in the day as you can.  Remember that he may be more active at night, so if you are not spending time with him when he is most active, maybe you can adjust your own schedule to be available to "play" (or at least hang out) for a little while later at night and earlier in the morning.

2)  Always be courteous to Pop's sensitive ears, eyes, and nose.  Avoid exposing him to bright light (especially directly over his mousehouse, because his eyes are looking up), loud or sudden noises (including the high-frequency hissing/whistling that electronics produce), and strong smells (including things like cologne, hand lotion, and soap residue).

3)  While letting Pop keep things in his mousehouse that smell like him, also add things that smell like you.  I used to shred paper towels and crumple the shreds by rolling them between my palms, to make bedding for my little April.  My smell was all over the inside of her mousehouse from Day One, and she took less than ten days before she was climbing all over me, peeping instructions and orders at me.

4)  Get involved in nest building, tearing pieces of tissue or paper towel and handing them to Pop.  He may be especially receptive to this game after you have cleaned his house.  When you do clean the mousehouse, save some of his unsoiled bedding (he can still smell himself on it, even if he has not messed it) and alternate handing him pieces with his smell and pieces with your smell.

5)  Pop may just not be a pick-me-up-in-your-hands kind of mousie.  Try wearing a long-sleeved knit shirt or a sweat shirt and offering him the wrist, to see if he will climb up either the outside or inside of the sleeve.  If there is a danger of escape, then do this while you are either in a mouse-proofed room or standing in a bathtub.  AND ALWAYS BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WHEN YOU HAVE A MOUSIE ON BOARD.  It is much too easy to make an inadvertent move and injure (or worse) a tiny friend napping in your shirt.

I'm sure the forum members have lots more ideas. But keep in mind that Pop may just not be the cuddly buddy sort of mouse. He may just be more of the strong, silent, Clint Eastwood type.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Getting sad for him... he's asking your help! Empty Re: Getting sad for him... he's asking your help!

Post by MicoMice Tue 05 Nov 2019, 10:53 am

Thanks a lot!

Will definitely try number 3) and therefore number 4)!

I have tried number 5) already when I did some reearch on the internet, didn't work. He can crawl on bare skins depending his mood though.

And yeah, he is badass and very bulky. Not fat, just pretty big and heavy. Weighting 10 g more than any other mouse I had. He's my silent killer <3

Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by MicoMice Mon 25 Nov 2019, 7:28 am

So a quick update:

I tried to leave little pieces of things with my smell on them. Didn't work.
So I did something I thought was bad but it worked!

I basically grabbed him and let him run around me in my clothes. Each morning and one when coming back from work, and one after dinner/before bed. I'dhten let him play around on my desk, go in between all the paper and the mess I have (no food, just papers and noon-connected cables). He seemed to have a lot of fun!

Since then, he's being wayyyy more social. Even with my girlfriend!
It's been a wonderful time with him since, and we're closer than ever!!!!

Loving my little Pop so much, but just wanted to share that option: don't be scared to grab your mouse to teach them you are a safe zone, and that they can leave whenever they want.

Now my little Pop is even coming back!

Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum