Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Excessive Grooming?

4 posters

Go down

Excessive Grooming? Empty Excessive Grooming?

Post by Seanthebestboy Fri 13 Dec 2019, 6:16 pm

Code:

Hey! So as some of you know, I’m pretty new to the forum and mouse ownership. I have an appointment Monday morning for my boy to be seen, no worries there.

So last night after getting home, I put a bunch of new toys in Sean’s tank. He’s in a 10 gallon. He has a wheel, a wooden toy with a ball, two tunnels, four chews, and a wooden hide. I noticed this morning as I was cleaning his cage, he was grooming one particular spot above his left hip near his abdomen. The hair is gone and it’s sore, like he’s been chewing on himself. There’s nothing sharp that he can be getting stuck or injured on. Until his appointment, is there anything I can do to help? I don’t have any pictures, as he’s still very active and curious.
Seanthebestboy
Seanthebestboy
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Excessive Grooming? Empty Re: Excessive Grooming?

Post by Robin~ Fri 13 Dec 2019, 6:56 pm

Some males have issues with over-grooming when they become bored. Do you have any pictures of his set up? How long do you let him out each day?

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanthebestboy Fri 13 Dec 2019, 7:12 pm

Excessive Grooming? DIWCMDx

Here’s his set up. He’s in a 10 gallon with a mesh net. He’s got more tunnels and chews throughout. I’m planning on getting him a hammock or ladder to climb on as well, and upgrade to a larger size ASAP for him. I let him out around 30 minutes to an hour, multiple times a day.
Seanthebestboy
Seanthebestboy
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Oreoandfriends Sat 14 Dec 2019, 10:38 am

I have a male mouse that has been self mutilating for about a year, the vet will be able to tell you if he has mites or lice. My best guess for my male is he had an allergic reaction, began itching, and now it’s an ongoing cycle. He only has nubs for ears now and fur loss on his sides, he gets antibiotics given to me by the vet when it flares up again to prevent infection!
I find that single males typically do best in 20 gallon long tanks or 110 quart bin cages PACKED with toys on the floor and things to climb, no spot should be left bare. I hope this helps!
Oreoandfriends
Oreoandfriends
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanthebestboy Sat 14 Dec 2019, 10:59 am

Poor baby! I didn’t realize they were so prone to it. I made an appointment Monday morning, so can pop in to let everyone know what they said? He’s been playing and moving the toys round a lot, particularly the ring. I’m hoping it’s a boredom thing cause that can be fixed.
Seanthebestboy
Seanthebestboy
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Oreoandfriends Sat 14 Dec 2019, 11:04 am

Seanthebestboy wrote:Poor baby!  I didn’t realize they were so prone to it.  I made an appointment Monday morning, so can pop in to let everyone know what they said?  He’s been playing and moving the toys round a lot, particularly the ring.  I’m hoping it’s a boredom thing cause that can be fixed.

Yes this seems to be such a common issue! I’m glad he got an appointment, let us know how it goes. I’m hoping everything is ok and he can get past it! Smile
Oreoandfriends
Oreoandfriends
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanthebestboy Sat 14 Dec 2019, 11:19 am

Oh for sure! I was told he grooms a lot when I got him, but didn’t think he’d give himself sores! I’ll definitely let you guys know what they say! I’m a bit nervous. He’s my first rodent so I don’t know what to expect or how much I should expect to pay. Thank you!
Seanthebestboy
Seanthebestboy
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanthebestboy Mon 16 Dec 2019, 3:46 pm

Okay I have a very unfortunate update.

The vet was incredible! He did a skin scrape and fecal as well as anesthesia to collect everything all for 45$. The reason for his over grooming is because his fecal showed giardia and pinworms. I was given a liquid topical to rub twice a day on the wound, and panacure for his worms and giardia. I was also given bene bac plus to help aid in the deworming process, and I called the vet to make sure all of that was safe for him. They did today’s deworming and the first wound cleaning, so I have to clean his little wound tonight and start fresh in the morning.
Seanthebestboy
Seanthebestboy
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Oreoandfriends Mon 16 Dec 2019, 6:16 pm

Seanthebestboy wrote:Okay I have a very unfortunate update.

The vet was incredible!  He did a skin scrape and fecal as well as anesthesia to collect everything all for 45$.  The reason for his over grooming is because his fecal showed giardia and pinworms.  I was given a liquid topical to rub twice a day on the wound, and panacure for his worms and giardia.  I was also given bene bac plus to help aid in the deworming process, and I called the vet to make sure all of that was safe for him.  They did today’s deworming and the first wound cleaning, so I have to clean his little wound tonight and start fresh in the morning.

I’m so sorry to hear that Sad it’s great he’s being treated though, hopefully he pulls through! It can be so scary having sick small animals but they can be really tough. Best of luck, I hope everything goes well and it sounds like you have an amazing exotic vet!
Oreoandfriends
Oreoandfriends
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanthebestboy Mon 16 Dec 2019, 6:18 pm

He’s a very strong boy! Not even 5 minutes after he had the anesthesia he was up and running and playing and all crazy like usual. I’m so concerned about him, but we’re goinf to try! The wound is already a teeny tiny bit better. I’m concerned about the worms and giardia though. If anyone has dealt with this, please message me the outcome! Thank you for your support
Seanthebestboy
Seanthebestboy
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Tue 17 Dec 2019, 11:40 am

Seanthebestboy:

Thank you for reminding us how important it is to get the right tests done to identify what is causing a skin problem.  Store-bought topical applications can treat symptoms or promote healing, but they are not likely to solve a skin problem that is a reaction to something troubling the gut.

The same goes for us humans too!

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanthebestboy Tue 17 Dec 2019, 12:54 pm

Absolutely! I got everything at my vet so I’m thankful for that. I feel so bad for my little guy and hope he pulls through
Seanthebestboy
Seanthebestboy
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanthebestboy Fri 27 Dec 2019, 1:34 pm

Great news!

He had another check up today. The wound has the tiniest of scabs that the vet isn’t even concerned about. His pinworms are completely gone, and the giardia is 95% gone! He has until Monday with the disinfectant, and he has three days of the anti parasite treatment. Skip two weeks, and another 5 days of treatment. He goes back sometime in the middle of next month for hopefully the last visit. I’m so happy he pulled through!
Seanthebestboy
Seanthebestboy
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Sat 28 Dec 2019, 2:01 pm

What a relief it must be to have a vet who will give your mousie friends that degree of attention and effort.

Will Sean have to take any probiotics to re-establish the gut flora after all of his "treatments", or are they targeted at the parasites so they won't disrupt the digestive bacteria population?

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanthebestboy Sat 28 Dec 2019, 6:24 pm

It’s really nice!

He’s going to continue the treatment he was on before. As of now, his flora actually looks really good considering! When he goes back, then we’re going to decide that 😊
Seanthebestboy
Seanthebestboy
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum