Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How long can i wait before adding new cage mates after one passed away?

3 posters

Go down

How long can i wait before adding new cage mates after one passed away? Empty How long can i wait before adding new cage mates after one passed away?

Post by Jlenches28 Sat 28 Dec 2019, 12:19 pm

Hi everyone...I’m a first time poster and new member. One of my girls (Olive) passed away last night and her cage mate Roma is already acting differently. She covered up her little friend with nesting materials and was acting skiddish when i walked into the room....i removed Olive and Roma hasn’t come out of her house once. I don’t even think she ate last night.  
I have every intention of getting her new friends, but she is just a run of the mill white feeder mouse and i was looking to maybe get fancies this time. I cannot get the fancy mice for a week.
So...
A) is waiting a week too long to add the friends?

Edit— B) will a bonded pair of little pups exclude my old lady Roma?

edit - C) i wouldn’t mind a little colony of my own, would grabbing a little pet store mouse be helpful for her before i get the fancies? I’d rather not support pet stores but the mental health of my sweet Roma is most important at this point.

Also, any tips and tricks for introducing the two newbies would be helpful.
Thank you all very much

Jlenches28

Back to top Go down

How long can i wait before adding new cage mates after one passed away? Empty Re: How long can i wait before adding new cage mates after one passed away?

Post by Robin~ Sat 28 Dec 2019, 1:31 pm

Hello!

Most pet shops actually sell “fancy mice” nowadays, but if you have an ethical breeder near you I suggest waiting so you don’t have to support pet mills. Until then, just give her as much attention and comfort as possible. I don’t think there really any point where she would turn and outright refuse company, so I would more focus on the sake of her need for company rather than a brief window of time if that makes sense.

I would also check shelters near you—some may have some mice for adoption.

I don’t think adding in a pre-bonded pair should be an issue provided you bond Roma to the new pair properly. Here’s a guide on bonding:
http://www.petmousefanciers.com/t19-keeping-mice-together-introducing-them

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

How long can i wait before adding new cage mates after one passed away? Empty Re: How long can i wait before adding new cage mates after one passed away?

Post by Jlenches28 Sat 28 Dec 2019, 6:23 pm

Robin~ wrote:Hello!

Most pet shops actually sell “fancy mice” nowadays, but if you have an ethical breeder near you I suggest waiting so you don’t have to support pet mills. Until then, just give her as much attention and comfort as possible. I don’t think there really any point where she would turn and outright refuse company, so I would more focus on the sake of her need for company rather than a brief window of time if that makes sense.

I would also check shelters near you—some may have some mice for adoption.

I don’t think adding in a pre-bonded pair should be an issue provided you bond Roma to the new pair properly. Here’s a guide on bonding:
http://www.petmousefanciers.com/t19-keeping-mice-together-introducing-them

Thank you so much. I think we will wait until this upcoming weekend to get her a pal and just give her love and attention until then.. My fiance is actually laying with her right now watching the football game and she appears quite comfortable. I did have another question though.. Would you advise cleaning their cage right away or leave it until schedule cleaning day. I would image Olive's scent is still in the cage and I would hate for this to be confusing or upsetting to Roma but I can also see it being comforting. Again, thank you so much for the advice thus far. This is the first time we've lost a furry friend.

Jlenches28

Back to top Go down

Post by DanielleG Thu 09 Jan 2020, 8:12 am

Thank you! Reading this really helped me. One of my fancy mice passed away a couple of days ago and I was trying to figure out what to do. Thank you both for all the information. I’m sorry for the loss of your mouse. Angel
DanielleG
DanielleG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down