Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

normal mouse behavior after vet visit?

3 posters

Go down

normal mouse behavior after vet visit?  Empty normal mouse behavior after vet visit?

Post by Moose Mon 13 Jan 2020, 6:36 pm

hello. i took my mouse to the vet today for a head tilt and, though this is a new vet near me he was very gentle with my mouse which was a main concern of mine seeing as how my last vet was not very gentle at all with my previous hamster.

anyway, this was my mouse’s first vet visit and they had to try and restrain him a bit to examine him and he actually nipped the vet (he’s never bit before so he must have been scared and the vet was very cool about it), and now that my mouse is home he’s been almost nonstop grooming himself and laying in places i’ve never seen him lay before, like outside of hide instead of inside. is this normal for him to seem so tired and traumatized? i’m sorry if this is a stupid question.

also, if anybody has any advice on how i can get him to take oral medication? the vet suspects a possible ear infection so i’ll have to give him two little syringes a day and though it’s cherry flavored he is VERY picky and won’t take it Sad the vet also gave me a little, heavily diluted syrum to put on his neck in case of parasites.

thank you!

Moose
Jr Member
Jr Member

Spooky

Back to top Go down

normal mouse behavior after vet visit?  Empty Re: normal mouse behavior after vet visit?

Post by Robin~ Tue 14 Jan 2020, 11:14 am

I don’t have too much experience with mice being odd after vet visits—maybe it’s just mine is a female who had friends to talk to afterwards—so maybe someone else could help with that?

As for medication, I was in the same boat. I swear I tried everything from baby food to her favorite treats and nothing worked. I ended up having to sort of grab her head to hold it still and give the medicine (note—feed through the side of the mouth to avoid choking, especially with sticker medicines). It just ended up being a quick two seconds of restraint then several minutes of treats and love afterwards to counteract it; she’s back to being fine with me now.

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

normal mouse behavior after vet visit?  Empty Re: normal mouse behavior after vet visit?

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Tue 14 Jan 2020, 12:35 pm

When I first brought April home, I used to let her run around on the sidewalk outside after sunset (she was a PEW) to keep her nails buffed. Once the weather turned cold, nothing I was trying indoors was working, and since I can't cut my own nails without collateral damage, I took April to her vet for a professional pedicure. When the tech returned April to me, all done, she said she did great.

Two months later I was getting scratch marks all over the place again, so back we went for another pedicure. This time, the tech brought April back to me unfinished -- Miss April had had a massive panic attack, tried to make a jump for freedom, and passed out and needed oxygen administered. She was asleep in her travel tank, and when I quietly lifted the lid off, April made another frantic leap -- right up the inside of my sleeve. I was advised: no more pedicures for April. I stuck around for another twenty minutes or so, while April slept in my sleeve, to make sure she seemed calmed down. She pretty much slept for the rest of the day and through the whole night.

At her one-year checkup, April's vet was hesitant to examine her, based on her last visit. I said I believed she would be fine, as long as I stayed in the room with her. And she was! But she was also not being restrained and "attacked" with nail clippers.

As for the medication procedure, to make sure mousie gets the full and correct dose you need to scruff. I guess it would be good for all of us to practice scruffing our little ones right from the beginning, so they are used to it long before we HAVE to do it for medical reasons. Maybe find a little mouse-sized toy to practice on.

You might find out that something else in your experience has trained you to be quite a good scruffier. (Such as: The pilot light went out in my furnace last month, and it was very difficult to see where I had to reach the match in to. I read the instructions. I watched YouTube videos for other furnace models. I was afraid of hitting part of the furnace with the lit match and breaking it off the carbon arrow shaft I had it taped to. But when it was GO time and I turned on the pilot gas, it was like my fencing training kicked in and I bullseyed the pilot target in one clean try!)

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum