Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Infrared lamp - for reptiles

2 posters

Go down

Infrared lamp - for reptiles Empty Infrared lamp - for reptiles

Post by Nieve5552 Sun 19 Jan 2020, 6:45 am

Hi, does anyone here have experience using infrared lamps, made for providing heat to reptiles?
I'm trying to find out how much heat each lamp type (35 watt, 50 watt, 75 watt etc) generates, but Google doesnt seem to be able to help this time!

Im wondering if 35 watt would be a good option for me to use at night (for me to watch the mice nocturnal behaviour) while not radiating too much heat to pose a heatstroke danger to mice during the temperate seasons, but also able to provide a bit of warmth during the winter.

Nieve5552

Back to top Go down

Infrared lamp - for reptiles Empty Re: Infrared lamp - for reptiles

Post by Robin~ Sun 19 Jan 2020, 7:25 am

Hello!

I don’t have too much experience with infrared lamps but I do have experience with heating mats. They’re a pretty common recommendation among smaller rodents if your room gets a bit chilly during the cooler months. Be sure to get one with a thermostat, but these are great especially with a lot of bedding so your mouse can adjust their depth in the bedding to how warm they are.

But, in general, just providing a ton of bedding (at least 6”) can provide the same purpose. Putting a towel between the wall/floor and the cage can also provide some insulation.

If you want to use an infrared lamp I would definitely be sure to use a temp gun with it to ensure the cage doesn’t get too hot (maybe 75F around where the lamp is and cooler on the other side). Much like with reptiles you should have that temp gradient, so if your cage is on the smaller side this may not be as ideal.

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down