Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brand new to owning and keeping mice please help

2 posters

Go down

Brand new to owning and keeping mice please help Empty Brand new to owning and keeping mice please help

Post by MadiPaige Thu 27 Feb 2020, 7:35 am

I’m a big small animal person, and I keep ferrets, hedgehogs, and four hamsters. After loosing my hedgehog, I am interested in keeping mice in my small animal room. If any of you can give me basic facts about mice (ex. Cage size, accessories needed, diet, etc) it would be very helpful to me so that I can branch off from there. Thank you!

MadiPaige

Back to top Go down

Brand new to owning and keeping mice please help Empty Re: Brand new to owning and keeping mice please help

Post by Robin~ Thu 27 Feb 2020, 9:37 am

Here’s our forum’s general guides:

http://www.petmousefanciers.com/t4385-mouse-care-index

However, care has evolved a bit since these were written—here’s a few examples:

-do not feed your mice a diet of just bird seed. They must have a pellet in their diet as a staple source of nutrients. Oxbow Adult Rat is a fantastic pellet my mice really enjoy.

-tanks aren’t quite as recommended now—a barred cage would be best. Something like the Prevue 528 would be great if you’re not DIY savvy, but you could also mesh cages intended for larger animals (perhaps an old cage you used for a hedgehog or group of ferrets?). This ends up being a lot more cost effective.
You can also cut large holes in then sides of a bin and mesh them over. Goal is to have ventilation on all sides but the bottom.

Those are just a few big ones. If you have any more questions don’t hesitate to ask!

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down