Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 male mice!?!?!??!?!

4 posters

Go down

2 male mice!?!?!??!?! Empty 2 male mice!?!?!??!?!

Post by alexru Wed 04 Mar 2020, 12:00 pm

I need help!!

I am planning on adopting 1 male mouse from my local spca but they are making me take 2 boys!! From my research it is highly highly recommended to only keep 1 boy but they are making me adopt 2!

https://spcawake.org/adopt/pet-details/?aid=94213&cid=24&tid=other&Status=All#.Xl_rUSVOklQ

here is the link if y’all have any suggestions please let me know!! i called and they are keeping all the males together even the ones that are not siblings!!!!

Thanks

alexru

Back to top Go down

2 male mice!?!?!??!?! Empty Re: 2 male mice!?!?!??!?!

Post by chiroptera Wed 04 Mar 2020, 8:53 pm

@alexru

Oof, they really should NOT be recommending you to take multiple males, let only housing all of them together. That's seriously a shame. Sad

If they are siblings, it IS possible that they could get along, but it's still not usually recommended.

If you really want one of those mice and they won't let you only take one, you could take both and then find a new home for the other one? Or, you could keep both of them, but keep them in separate enclosures.

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by alexru Thu 05 Mar 2020, 11:02 am

Yeah idk it’s crazy that the spca believes that. maybe they are getting confused with rats because both females and males need friends. any ways thanks for responding and i will try to push a bit to just get one because this will be my first mouse and i don’t feel comfortable enough to risk having 2 males together or have the money to pay for 2 separate cages accessories and such.

Thanks tho!!

alexru

Back to top Go down

Post by Echoe77 Thu 05 Mar 2020, 1:34 pm

Do you happen to know how old they are? If they haven't hit 8 weeks yet maybe wait until then and see if they start fighting. If they see the mice fighting they may be less reluctant to selling just one. They probably just feel bad about separating them from their "friends", try citing AFRMA https://www.afrma.org/caresheet.htm or other pet guides.

The idea of male mice needing to be kept together is more from the European side of fancy mice where they have been bred for temperament since the 1800s (imported from china/japan who had been breeding mice for much longer). Their lineages can also ingest chocolate, unlike Fancy mice in the US that may or may not have a European lineage. In countries that have had fancy mice for centuries+ they have a higher chance of success for housing males together because of how long they've been domesticated. Even then it is still not recommended to introduce male mice together after 8 weeks. I have heard that larger groups of males (more than 2) have more success, but things don't work out you end up with a room filled with mouse cages.

Good luck!

Jr Member
Jr Member

Woot!

Back to top Go down

Post by alexru Thu 05 Mar 2020, 2:31 pm

There are 4 boys who are 3 months old. I assume someone abandoned a pregnant mom. I called and they said that they are just fine together but you never know if anyone actually watches their behavior or just places in food and water

alexru

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrie Thu 16 Apr 2020, 3:15 am

Any updates on how the 2 males are getting along or did you decide to get but seperate?

Carrie

Leo Chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by alexru Thu 16 Apr 2020, 2:21 pm

I ended up not getting them Sad I decided to get a hamster instead. I hope to adopt mice in the future from an animal shelter or something simular but right now is not the best time!

I checked on them a few weeks ago on the SPCA site to see if they were getting adopted and 3 had an adoption pending but it seems to not have worked out because the notification went away and their pictures stayed up Sad

alexru

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum