Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grieving Mouse - Any Help is Appreciated!

2 posters

Go down

Grieving Mouse - Any Help is Appreciated! Empty Grieving Mouse - Any Help is Appreciated!

Post by katafrat Sun 05 Apr 2020, 3:05 pm

♡ Hello ♡

I adopted two mice back in January, Maya and Pearl (two females, bonded pair at shelter), and after what seems to be overnight, Pearl seemed lethargic, despite eating and drinking. I took her to the animal hospital as soon as I could, and I found out that she had a tumor growing on her belly... which really upset me to say the least. I was given pain medication to help her out, and I knew she would unfortunately pass away.

Pearl passed away last night, on April 4th, 2020. I am so distraught by this, because her cage-mate Maya is left behind in their enclosure. I am planning on adopting a mouse within the next couple of weeks (or months perhaps), depending on how she feels. Do you think this is a good idea? ♡ Maya is such a sweet girl and I don't want her to feel alone... I have been researching and I know that "fake friends" are a possibility, so I may make her a little friend before this happens.

I wanted to ask a couple of questions, as I am relatively new to mouse care, and I want to make my little Maya as happy as possible. ♡

- Would it be a good idea to introduce a new mouse friend to Maya? And if so, how long should I wait to do this?
- I am cleaning her cage, the day after Pearl passed away, to rid of her scent. Is this a good idea, since Maya is still grieving?
- Are tumors/cancer the owners fault? If so, what can I do to prevent these?

Thank you so much for your help, if anybody sees this. ♡ Thank you. ♡

Here is a photo of dear Maya. Heart
Grieving Mouse - Any Help is Appreciated! Img_3210
katafrat
katafrat

Scorpio Caffeine Fix

Back to top Go down

Grieving Mouse - Any Help is Appreciated! Empty Re: Grieving Mouse - Any Help is Appreciated!

Post by chiroptera Sun 05 Apr 2020, 9:28 pm

@katafrat

-You definitely should get her a new cage mate! Female mice don't do well alone. It's actually probably a good idea to get two more mice, so then when Maya passes, your other girl isn't left alone. (Plus, trios generally do better than pairs, since then if one mouse is dominant, the other lone mouse isn't the only target.) I would suggest getting a new mouse (or two) as soon as you're able to, but it's highly recommended that you quarantine her/them before introducing, in case the new mice have any illnesses you might not have seen at first.

-It should be fine to clean the cage, as far as I know?

-Unfortunately, mice - especially female mice - are just VERY prone to tumors. It's nothing to do with anything you've done wrong, so don't blame yourself for that. These little guys are just very susceptible to them. Sad

I'm so sorry for your loss! And Maya is such a cutie~

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Grieving Mouse - Any Help is Appreciated! Empty Re: Grieving Mouse - Any Help is Appreciated!

Post by katafrat Sun 05 Apr 2020, 9:36 pm

chiroptera wrote:@katafrat

-You definitely should get her a new cage mate! Female mice don't do well alone. It's actually probably a good idea to get two more mice, so then when Maya passes, your other girl isn't left alone. (Plus, trios generally do better than pairs, since then if one mouse is dominant, the other lone mouse isn't the only target.) I would suggest getting a new mouse (or two) as soon as you're able to, but it's highly recommended that you quarantine her/them before introducing, in case the new mice have any illnesses you might not have seen at first.

-It should be fine to clean the cage, as far as I know?

-Unfortunately, mice - especially female mice - are just VERY prone to tumors. It's nothing to do with anything you've done wrong, so don't blame yourself for that. These little guys are just very susceptible to them. Sad

Thank you so much for the help, you have no idea how grateful I am. ♡ You are so kind.

I will definitely look at shelters nearby for cagemates to introduce later, and Maya is doing well for the time being. Thanks again for the help! ♡
katafrat
katafrat

Scorpio Caffeine Fix

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera Mon 06 Apr 2020, 4:45 am

You're welcome!!

You may also want to look at places such as Craigslist for mice that are needing new homes, often there are pets there who could use a loving home!

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum