Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mouse marking territory?

2 posters

Go down

Mouse marking territory? Empty Mouse marking territory?

Post by pomskies Tue 07 Apr 2020, 6:52 pm

Good evening,

I have a buck, Bilbo, that has just been a delight! He's one of the first mice I've owned and got comfortable enough to crawl into my hands within a week. No one in my family can hold him without him jumping back to me. Now, I knew going into owning mice that they were going to poop and pee all over me !! But what was strange is he never did?

For over a month, he never had an incident while letting me hold him. He'll sit on my chest and groom or just crawl around. He seems very comfortable with being out of his enclosure with me.

Then, about three days ago, he starts pooping every time I have him out. He'll go seven, eight times in 15 minutes of crawling around on me. Today, he peed all over my shirt.

I definitely don't mind. As I said, I anticipated this behavior, but I'm just curious as to why it started after a month. Could this indicate something's wrong or is he just getting more comfortable?
pomskies
pomskies

Aries Dancing

Back to top Go down

Mouse marking territory? Empty Re: Mouse marking territory?

Post by Robin~ Tue 07 Apr 2020, 9:15 pm

For the feces, most rodents actually don’t have much control over their bowel movements, so it’s more an accident than anything. Smile

Urine, on the other hand, is usually controlled. Since he is male and they tend to be very territorial I wouldn’t doubt it if his intentions were to mark you as his. I’ve heard of some people using a specific sweatshirt when handling so you always smell like him and there’s no need to remark.

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down