Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Budgie food for mice?

3 posters

Go down

Budgie food for mice? Empty Budgie food for mice?

Post by Isalie Thu 09 Apr 2020, 6:06 am

Hi so I am doing research on mice food cause i cant seem  to find a good food source. I heard about budgie food and stuff tho. Is versele laga budgie food okay for them? Should I add things?

This is the food I am talking about:
https://www.versele-laga.com/en/prestige/products/prestige-budgies

Isalie

Back to top Go down

Budgie food for mice? Empty Re: Budgie food for mice?

Post by Robin~ Thu 09 Apr 2020, 9:57 am

Hello!

I would recommend having a look at this post. It has an article that generally details what you need to have in a mouse’s diet and some recommended foods. http://www.petmousefanciers.com/t4774-mouse-food-dissection

Looking at this food specifically, I’m honestly not a huge fan. While it appears to be a nice, seedy mix, it’s really just millet and a few other ingredients, leading to a very plain mix. You can add it if you want, but I would recommend also using another mix with more variety. Smile

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Isalie Thu 09 Apr 2020, 10:30 am

Robin~ wrote:Hello!

I would recommend having a look at this post. It has an article that generally details what you need to have in a mouse’s diet and some recommended foods. http://www.petmousefanciers.com/t4774-mouse-food-dissection

Looking at this food specifically, I’m honestly not a huge fan. While it appears to be a nice, seedy mix, it’s really just millet and a few other ingredients, leading to a very plain mix. You can add it if you want, but I would recommend also using another mix with more variety. Smile

Thank you I Will look into that for sure. I’m thinking of mixing a big parakeet mix with Some good quaility hamster food or something like that if i ever find good foods in My area. Ugh so frustrating here

Isalie

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Thu 09 Apr 2020, 3:47 pm

Isalie wrote:

Thank you I Will look into that for sure. I’m thinking of mixing a big parakeet mix with Some good quaility hamster food or something like that if i ever find good foods in My area. Ugh so frustrating here

I would just be sure to try to use a pellet formulated for mice/rats. Hamsters have rather different nutritional needs. Smile If you could list where you’re generally located that could help in finding some good options that are available to you.
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Isalie Thu 09 Apr 2020, 4:23 pm

Robin~ wrote:
Isalie wrote:

I would just be sure to try to use a pellet formulated for mice/rats. Hamsters have rather different nutritional needs. Smile If you could list where you’re generally located that could help in finding some good options that are available to you.

In belgium. As far as I am aware we don’t have any good pellets available. I would also like to use pellets mixed with other food to prevent boredom. Maybe somebody know a good quality food. I cant order off Amazon cause the import cost or something is most of the time triple the cost of the product. My first thought was to mix different foods to get the right neutrition but i have no idea How to do that wafels and correct.

Isalie

Back to top Go down

Post by Isalie Thu 09 Apr 2020, 4:24 pm

Robin~ wrote:
Isalie wrote:

I do make My own rat food. Would that be a good diet? I don’t really know if their diet is Very different since many brands sell the Same product for rats and mice.

Isalie

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera Thu 09 Apr 2020, 11:15 pm

@Isalie If you have access to Science Selective Rat online, that's what I use for my mice. I mix the SSR with Vitakraft parakeet seed, as well as flax seed, wild rice, barley, and a small amount of walnuts/pecans/cashews and sometimes pumpkin seeds.

Your rat food mix could very well work for mice, although it would depend on the stats. I think the main difference between rat and mice diets is that rats need more protein, so I would keep an eye on that when deciding if it's suitable for mice as well.

I'd also note that some hamster foods are okay for mice, and actually better than some foods marketed for mice. Unfortunately, things in the pet trade are often not actually appropriate for the animals they're marketed to. Just make sure to take a look at the ingredients and nutritional info rather than just looking at the animal on the label. Wink

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Isalie Fri 10 Apr 2020, 2:17 am

chiroptera wrote:@Isalie If you have access to Science Selective Rat online, that's what I use for my mice. I mix the SSR with Vitakraft parakeet seed, as well as flax seed, wild rice, barley, and a small amount of walnuts/pecans/cashews and sometimes pumpkin seeds.

Your rat food mix could very well work for mice, although it would depend on the stats. I think the main difference between rat and mice diets is that rats need more protein, so I would keep an eye on that when deciding if it's suitable for mice as well.

I'd also note that some hamster foods are okay for mice, and actually better than some foods marketed for mice. Unfortunately, things in the pet trade are often not actually appropriate for the animals they're marketed to. Just make sure to take a look at the ingredients and nutritional info rather than just looking at the animal on the label. Wink

Thank you with How many parts or percentages do you mix the pellets and seeds?
Currently the rat food will be too high but im thinking that in the next batch I just add the proteïne Lars so that the mice Can have less When I seperate Some.

Isalie

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera Fri 10 Apr 2020, 3:59 am

I personally do approximately 40% rat pellet, 30% parakeet seed, and 10%-ish of the grains, plus a little bit of nuts/pumpkin seeds/sometimes dried pasta for variety (though they really aren't super fond of the pasta)

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Isalie Fri 10 Apr 2020, 4:08 am

chiroptera wrote:I personally do approximately 40% rat pellet, 30% parakeet seed, and 10%-ish of the grains, plus a little bit of nuts/pumpkin seeds/sometimes dried pasta for variety (though they really aren't super fond of the pasta)

Thank! I might go with it that sounds like a great mix!

Isalie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum