Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Info on care of feeder mice hard to find

3 posters

Go down

Info on care of feeder mice hard to find Empty Info on care of feeder mice hard to find

Post by Carrie Thu 09 Apr 2020, 6:32 pm

I'm very thankful I came across this site (A big ty hug in appreciation to the owner/mods etc)! I have had previously the hardest time finding easy to read info reguarding my feeder mice. I imagine this is due to feeder mice, being used as well...feeders, there isn't a wealth of info on their care, health, general literature etc. I understand but it was very frustrating, literally everything I looked up (health wise especially) brought me to lab mice tests. I Literally had to have my bio major friend "interpret" the info I'd find to my (what I thought was..) simple question about a health issue. Boy, I sure wish there was more literature about mouse husbandry in general...OR .....am I just looking in the wrong places? Libraries I've visited only have very general info...not detailed care etc. I also subscribe to several rodent youtube channels, however I feel I've watched every single youtube video on the subject of mice.
Wishing there was more info out there, or if there In fact Is...wish I knew how to find it. (Again, this site is awesome and I'm glad I landed on it) Smile

Carrie

Leo Chatty

Back to top Go down

Info on care of feeder mice hard to find Empty Re: Info on care of feeder mice hard to find

Post by Oreoandfriends Fri 10 Apr 2020, 11:52 am

Hello! Welcome to the forum Smile
Unfortunately most people don’t think that the solid feeder mice are good pets because of their “plain” coloring and poor genetics which can cause behavioral issues, but I think they’re wonderful animals to keep.
General fancy mouse care articles should help to provide you with the basic guidelines on their care and there are a ton of helpful threads on this forum about specific nutrition, cage, enrichment, etc requirements.
I have one adopted male feeder mouse and he is the sweetest little guy, it’s so nice to be able to provide them with a safe and enriching home where they can shine. Just be aware that feeder mice can be more prone to having certain health or behavioral issues because of poor genetics so it’s very important to have a trusted exotic vet you can contact or make appointments with if there are any issues.
I hope this helps!
Oreoandfriends
Oreoandfriends
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Info on care of feeder mice hard to find Empty Re: Info on care of feeder mice hard to find

Post by Robin~ Fri 10 Apr 2020, 1:02 pm

To clarify, fancy mice and feeder mice are the exact same species, it’s just pet shops often name the ones with different colors “fancy”. Sort of like how syrian hamsters get a billion different names—a fancy bear hamster and a syrian both have the same care, pet shops just love giving them “cool” names that’ll boost sales.

So, as said, the care should be pretty much the same besides any genetics issues like protein sensitivities and allergies that you have to be mindful of due to their poor lineage.

But, even still, there’s an insane lack of information, at least compared to other rodents like hamsters and guinea pigs. I just have to trek along and provide care based off of my vet’s recommendations, the forum’s recommendations, what i know from owning other similar rodents, and my own experiences.
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

animalgirl555 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum