Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mice jumping unprovoked?

2 posters

Go down

Mice jumping unprovoked? Empty Mice jumping unprovoked?

Post by girl.bear Fri 08 May 2020, 10:32 pm

Today I was doing a partial cleaning of my mouse cage. I have three female mice. Smile Smile Smile Jam, Biscuit, and Crumpet! Love
During the partial cleaning I noticed 2 of my mice, Biscuit and Crumpet jumping suddenly very erratically with no provocation. They were not even interacting with eachother.
Later when I was getting ready for bed, I noticed Crumpet doing it again.
Is this an explained known behavior? I am a little worried wondering if something's wrong. Worry
Thanks!
girl.bear
girl.bear

Aries Busy

Back to top Go down

Mice jumping unprovoked? Empty Re: Mice jumping unprovoked?

Post by Robin~ Sat 09 May 2020, 9:04 am

Hello!

Depending on how young your mice are, they’re likely still in the popcorn or hopper stage. In this stage mice learn “Hey, we can jump really high, cool!” without knowing the harmful repercussions this can have (ie falling). These jumps are often around a foot high and often to reach some desired location.

If the jumps are a bit smaller and occur while just running around, this could be popcorning (not to be confused with the popcorn stage). This can happen at all ages and is a sign your mice are so happy they just have to let it out in a little hop. It’s very cute when you see it for the first time. Very Happy

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by girl.bear Sat 09 May 2020, 10:48 am

Robin~ wrote:Hello!

Depending on how young your mice are, they’re likely still in the popcorn or hopper stage. In this stage mice learn “Hey, we can jump really high, cool!” without knowing the harmful repercussions this can have (ie falling). These jumps are often around a foot high and often to reach some desired location.

If the jumps are a bit smaller and occur while just running around, this could be popcorning (not to be confused with the popcorn stage). This can happen at all ages and is a sign your mice are so happy they just have to let it out in a little hop. It’s very cute when you see it for the first time. Very Happy

Thank you so much! This makes me very happy Very Happy
They are still young so that is probably it!
girl.bear
girl.bear

Aries Busy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum