Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best wire cage for mice?

3 posters

Go down

Best wire cage for mice? Empty Best wire cage for mice?

Post by _.smartass._ Wed 10 Jun 2020, 1:07 pm

I’ve wanted mice for so long, and my dads finally letting me get 3 females later this year and we’re gonna start getting stuff on Friday, I’ve done so much research and I really want to get a wire cage, but I just don’t know which one to get. The space that I’d ideally have them is about 36x17 inches, and I was considering getting the ferplast criceti 15 but I don’t know if the bar spacing is too big. I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations of wire cages as I’m really struggling to find one Smile

_.smartass._

Back to top Go down

Best wire cage for mice? Empty Re: Best wire cage for mice?

Post by vothala Wed 10 Jun 2020, 1:49 pm

Hi! I'm glad you're doing a wire cage a lot of people tend to prefer tanks because of the lower risk of escape but even mice need good ventilation, plus they're much better for hanging toys which mice absolutely love. I'm not sure where you're from but I live in the states and it's really hard to find ferplast cages here because they are a UK brand, but to my knowledge most ferplast wire cages can be used for mice. I tried to look up the wire spacing but couldn't find anything about it if it's 1/4 of an inch or less than that it'll work just fine. I have the Prevue 528 cage which works excellently for a small group of mice. It's 32 1/2 L by 17 1/2 wide which is pretty close to the size you're looking for. It also has a pretty deep pan and even though mice aren't exactly heavy burrowers they still love to be able to dig around. I wish you the best of luck with getting your new girls!
vothala
vothala

Cancer Zen

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Wed 10 Jun 2020, 4:25 pm

If you're in the UK Zooplus is a great site. If you look at their hamster cages they have tons of great options--the Alaska is about 80x50cm (31x20"), and the Barney/Alexander is around 39x20".
You can also mesh over a guinea pig/rabbit cage if you're looking for even more space. What you would do is take 1cm hardware cloth and go over the entire barred portion of the cage, securing the mesh to the bars with zip ties.

I had a look at the Criceti and it looks pretty great. The bar spacing looks like it would be small enough, but be sure the spacing is under 1cm. Smile

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by _.smartass._ Thu 11 Jun 2020, 7:07 am

vothala wrote:Hi! I'm glad you're doing a wire cage a lot of people tend to prefer tanks because of the lower risk of escape but even mice need good ventilation, plus they're much better for hanging toys which mice absolutely love. I'm not sure where you're from but I live in the states and it's really hard to find ferplast cages here because they are a UK brand, but to my knowledge most ferplast wire cages can be used for mice. I tried to look up the wire spacing but couldn't find anything about it if it's 1/4 of an inch or less than that it'll work just fine. I have the Prevue 528 cage which works excellently for a small group of mice. It's 32 1/2 L by 17 1/2 wide which is pretty close to the size you're looking for. It also has a pretty deep pan and even though mice aren't exactly heavy burrowers they still love to be able to dig around. I wish you the best of luck with getting your new girls!

Hi! Thank you Smile I’m in the UK so deep last is the easiest for me to find, and although I really love the look of the prevue 528 theyre really hard to find here:( me and my dad are gonna spend the weekend looking so hopefully we’ll find something Smile

_.smartass._

Back to top Go down

Post by _.smartass._ Thu 11 Jun 2020, 7:09 am

Robin~ wrote:If you're in the UK Zooplus is a great site. If you look at their hamster cages they have tons of great options--the Alaska is about 80x50cm (31x20"), and the Barney/Alexander is around 39x20".
You can also mesh over a guinea pig/rabbit cage if you're looking for even more space. What you would do is take 1cm hardware cloth and go over the entire barred portion of the cage, securing the mesh to the bars with zip ties.

I had a look at the Criceti and it looks pretty great. The bar spacing looks like it would be small enough, but be sure the spacing is under 1cm. Smile

Yeah I looked at the Alaska, but it’s just a bit too big for my space, although I am looking at ways to make more space in my room and hopefully getting rid of a dresser to get a bigger table to put a bigger cage on Smile The spacing between the bars on the cricetti is 1cm so I was a bit unsure, but did also find the ferplast kios which is slightly smaller but looks decent Smile Were planning to spend the weekend looking so hopefully I’ll find something suitable Smile thank you!!

_.smartass._

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum