Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Separating Mouse with Health Issues

3 posters

Go down

Separating Mouse with Health Issues Empty Separating Mouse with Health Issues

Post by Galaxies Fri 17 Jul 2020, 8:09 pm

After attempts to keep all of our female mice together we've decided we needed to separate one female mouse from the group who has health problems. She has been picked on relentlessly. We've doubled their enclosure size and gave out food differently, both in bowls and spread throughout their enclosure, and nothing has helped. I'm unsure of what her health problems are exactly, she's slower (she crawls everywhere) and much smaller than the other mice, so I'm assuming the runt of the litter among other issues.

Today we moved to her to her own enclosure, about the size of a 10 gallon tank, so she can heal from the wounds the other mice have given her. I'm worried she will get lonely, does anyone know if there is something we can do to keep her company?

I thought maybe we could add a fake friend for her but I'm not sure if that would work and I'm worried about her chewing on whatever I put in there. These are the first set of mice I've had and I just want them all to be happy!

Galaxies

Back to top Go down

Separating Mouse with Health Issues Empty Re: Separating Mouse with Health Issues

Post by Robin~ Fri 17 Jul 2020, 8:58 pm

So sorry to hear you had to separate her! Maybe it’s worth calling up a vet to see what’s going on and if it can be fixed?

In terms of socializing, you’ll probably be her best bet until she’s healed and can get a new friend. Basically, just treat her like a buck—spend as much time with her as possible and make sure she has plenty of enrichment in her cage to prevent her from becoming bored. Smile

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Separating Mouse with Health Issues Empty Re: Separating Mouse with Health Issues

Post by chiroptera Fri 17 Jul 2020, 11:02 pm

I'd definitely recommend trying to find a friend for her once her wounds are healed. Maybe look into mice near you for adoption or talk to breeders, to see if anyone has a calmer or older female that needs a friend?

Of course, if not, then just spending a lot of one on one time with her is the right thing to do.

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum