Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cute or worrying?

3 posters

Go down

cute or worrying? Empty cute or worrying?

Post by audible_smiles Fri 24 Jul 2020, 11:38 pm

Hi- I'm new here, and have a 23 month old Black Swiss (a line of lab-bred mice, not fancy mice) buck. He's recently started climbing up onto his rope bridge and seemingly falling asleep there, always in the same position with his head off the end. It's kinda cute but he's so old that new habits catch my attention. He's slowing down- not a big wheel runner anymore- but still active.

cute or worrying? Screen10

Not actually expecting anyone to know what's gong on with him, obviously, just wondered if it would spark any "oh my mouse did that a week before she passed away" kind of memories.

audible_smiles

Back to top Go down

cute or worrying? Empty Re: cute or worrying?

Post by chiroptera Sat 25 Jul 2020, 9:55 pm

It seems pretty benign to me? Though it is a bit odd that he would sleep in the open, rather than hidden away.

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Mon 27 Jul 2020, 10:47 am

Although your little fellow may just be trying to beat the heat or make things more exciting by coming up with a strange new sleepie place, it is also possible he may be trying to alleviate some pain by sleeping with a weird support plan for his underbelly.

At 23 months, there are physiological conditions that could be accumulating to a concerning level.  But also, as time goes on, the odds unfortunately increase for some sudden health crisis.  I guess what I'm saying is that, for your peace of mind that you didn't wait too long when there was still something that could be done, you should take little mousie to his doctor to be checked for breathing or heart difficulties, lumps, possible urinary problems, other infections.

And, of course, if it has been especially hot where you are, make sure the mousehouse is kept in the proper temperature range, or at least that you provide a cool retreat at all times -- just in case overheating is a problem.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera Mon 27 Jul 2020, 8:12 pm

Ah, I didn't even consider that it might be due to overheating, that's a great point.

One way to provide some relief is to get a small piece of tile (you can get them at Lowe's etc. for a handful of cents to a few dollars), and leaving them in the fridge/freezer for a while. Then you can place it in the cage, so if it gets too hot he can lay on it to cool down. When it loses its coolness, put it back in the freezer. (Or even get two, and switch them every so often.)

Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

Back to top Go down

Post by audible_smiles Thu 30 Jul 2020, 8:33 am

Thank you both. I did, in fact, lose him last night, and looking back I'd say that the behavior I was seeing was lethargy- getting more easily tired and having to lie down to rest. My spider sense was tingling..it was time.

audible_smiles

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera Fri 31 Jul 2020, 4:00 pm

@audible_smiles I'm sorry for your loss. Sad But 23 months is a long life for a mouse, so I'm sure he had a great life with you.

chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down