Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the minimum size for a quarantine cage?

5 posters

Go down

What is the minimum size for a quarantine cage? Empty What is the minimum size for a quarantine cage?

Post by River Sat 09 Jul 2016, 9:21 am

While I'm not actively searching for another mouse right now, I'm definitely not opposed to the idea of bringing home a girl from an accidental litter...
The 'quarantine' cage I had been using last time was a travel cage, since she was too small for any of the barred cages I have and it was all that would hold her safely, but I'm sure it was too small for even that one week, plus how long it took me to introduce them.
So. If I bring home another girl, I'd have no reason not to do the full 3 week quarantine. That being said, what is the minimum size for a quarantine cage?

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

What is the minimum size for a quarantine cage? Empty Re: What is the minimum size for a quarantine cage?

Post by CinnamonPearl Sat 09 Jul 2016, 9:32 am

I think most people use 10gal tanks, but I'll be honest I used a 5gal tank for quarantine when I brought Egg and Lilith home. Not the best option, but I just didn't wanna have to deal with both a 20gal and a 10gal tank at the same time. Both mice were pretty okay in the small space, and I got away with it since it was only temporary.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

What is the minimum size for a quarantine cage? Empty Re: What is the minimum size for a quarantine cage?

Post by CAPSLOCK Sat 09 Jul 2016, 9:57 am

I think 5g is a pretty reasonable size for QT, especially for 1 mouse. But really, you may be able to find a 10g tank / top more easily than a 5g if you look for used stuff - 10g size is more common and often cheaper.

4 black lady-mice
CAPSLOCK
CAPSLOCK
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Sat 09 Jul 2016, 10:14 am

If you're going to have to buy a new tank, I'd go for a 10g because I'd think it was a better use of your money (because at least you could use it as a permanent mouse home in the future, should you ever need to).

However, if you happened to have a 5g on hand, I'd personally think it's an okay size to use for quarantine because it's only temporary.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sat 09 Jul 2016, 6:54 pm

I agree with mouselover. plus, I always like to keep a spare tank on hand in case I break one or something.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by CAPSLOCK Sat 09 Jul 2016, 7:09 pm

scaredymouse wrote:I always like to keep a spare tank on hand in case I break one or something.  
Those pesky doorways will get you every time!

4 black lady-mice
CAPSLOCK
CAPSLOCK
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sat 09 Jul 2016, 7:17 pm

Oh, I don't move tanks. once I set them down, they live there forever. But I do like to flail the vacuum around and bonk stuff with the handle. one of these days...

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down