Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ring Worm in Mice and how to treat it

4 posters

Go down

Ring Worm in Mice and how to treat it Empty Ring Worm in Mice and how to treat it

Post by zozzlezeb Thu 17 Dec 2020, 10:49 pm

Hello Everyone! I have some very good news my girl Zebra, who I thought had broken legs after an incident in the cage, has made a full recovery! She is back to her little mousey self running on her wheel and climbing about! But now it's her sister Zozzle I am worried about. Zozzle has had a hair loss problem recently and thinking it could be from a parasite I ordered some spot on anti-parasite medication. I also put her on a brown rice diet along with her mouse science selective lab blocks to see if this could be an allergy to food. I also put her on fleece and paper shreds if it is a bedding allergy. But something happened recently that is getting me really worried. My boyfriend came to visit me a week ago and he handled my mice. The day after he started to see this red circular rash appearing. The rash has gotten pretty bad and we are pretty sure it's ringworm. Zebra has also gotten a tiny bit of hair loss on the side of her nose which appeared a few days after the vet. Zozzle has a big bald spot on her nose and on her left leg and there was some white crusty stuff that appeared in the beginning. Occasioanlly I found very very tiny dots of blood on her nose and a little bit bigger one on her leg that healed up quick so I think she may be scratching. I am pretty freaked right now Worry I tried to look up how to treat it in mice and if there was any medication I could get for her like the anti parasite so I wouldn't have to go to the vet again. But I couldn't find anything. She doesn't seem to be in pain but I just don't know what to do. I don't have any rashes or signs of ring worm and I handle my mice everyday so I really really really hope it's not ringworm and the ringworm on my boyfriend wasn't associated with Zozzle Crying or Very sad Any advice would be so helpful!
zozzlezeb
zozzlezeb
Jr Member
Jr Member

Dancing

Back to top Go down

Ring Worm in Mice and how to treat it Empty Re: Ring Worm in Mice and how to treat it

Post by River Fri 18 Dec 2020, 2:48 am

I'd call your vet and see (tell them you just came in and your partner has ringworm and the mice are losing hair, they should make the connection), you may not have to go in again. It is important to stop the scratching before it becomes a habit.

I have heard about the use if Lotrimin in mice with ringworm but I have no personal experience with this. When I have seen it used it's applied twice daily and allegedly goes away within the week? I'd have to do more research on it's safety, though.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Ring Worm in Mice and how to treat it Empty Re: Ring Worm in Mice and how to treat it

Post by zozzlezeb Fri 18 Dec 2020, 9:24 am

My vet isn't in until Sunday so i'm going to give him a call then. I hope I can do something like that if they do have ringworm because it would save me some money. Would you know if ringworm causes any pain or could be deadly to mice? I am not sure how serious it could be for my girls.
zozzlezeb
zozzlezeb
Jr Member
Jr Member

Dancing

Back to top Go down

Post by M O U S E Fri 18 Dec 2020, 10:29 am

zozzlezeb wrote:My vet isn't in until Sunday so i'm going to give him a call then. I hope I can do something like that if they do have ringworm because it would save me some money. Would you know if ringworm causes any pain or could be deadly to mice? I am not sure how serious it could be for my girls.
Mice are prey animals, so they are very good at hiding pain. Although if she's scratching, it's more than likely causing her some kind of irritation. Also, ringworm infections can spread, so I would be wary of yourself and any other animals in contact with her, particularly Zebra.

M O U S E
M O U S E
Sr Member
Sr Member

Taurus Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera Fri 18 Dec 2020, 5:50 pm

Definitely sounds like ringworm, unfortunately. I'd see if your vet would be willing to prescribe the medicine without making you come in, hopefully they will. I'd definitely deal with this as soon as possible, I don't know about it being deadly for your mice but (as someone who's had it, and treated my cat for it), it's definitely not pleasant and it's highly contagious.

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

SarahAdams likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by zozzlezeb Sat 19 Dec 2020, 11:53 am

I've noticed she's scratching a lot and I'm pretty sure Zebra already has it also since I saw a little hair loss on her nose recently. Going to be treating them both with whatever the vet says to do. Going to be really careful after handling them washing my hands and such so my other animals or family don't get it.
zozzlezeb
zozzlezeb
Jr Member
Jr Member

Dancing

M O U S E likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera Sun 20 Dec 2020, 2:31 am

I'd probably keep trying the anti-parasite cream you already have until you hear back from the vet, it may not work to kill the ringworm but I doubt it'll hurt anything.

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

M O U S E likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum