Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Help no longer needed] Sudden onset illness, need help identifying!

2 posters

Go down

[Help no longer needed] Sudden onset illness, need help identifying! Empty [Help no longer needed] Sudden onset illness, need help identifying!

Post by ControlCoreAngel Sun 21 Mar 2021, 11:43 pm

Earlier today, my gal Poppy was going just fine. Then I found her with the worst coughs I've ever heard, sounding wet and very severe, so strong they made her flick her head back. When I went to put her down in her nest, she seized for less than a minute then returned to her previous state of coughing.

I was originally concerned this was a respiratory issue, as I've had mice with those before, but as I observed her, it just didn't seem to add up for one. The onset here was very sudden.

I have noticed little black raised spots on her face, only two of them, slightly smaller than her eyes. I assumed these were scabs caused by her sister accidentally biting her a bit too hard during grooming or play, and that's still my thought, as they're too large to be mites. One is located above her right eye, the other below it and healing. These may just be a coincidence.

I don't want to say this was a stroke, as I've seen mice have them before as well, but it might be.

Poppy is less than a year old, most likely under 7 or 8 months. Her sister is showing no signs of illness. She is a lethal yellow (a color I have never owned before) PEW and very large/likely obese (though not severely + not in a way that limits her movement). For additional info, her sister is chocolate/mock chocolate/black (unsure) tan belly, though it's unknown if they are actually littermates (though they are the same age).

EDIT: Less than 30 minutes later, her coughing has stopped she only coughs when being held. She is moving again, but slowly, and seems weak.

Any thoughts on what this could be would be fantastic. We're doing what we can to help her. Thank you!

EDIT 2: Thanks for the help. Poppy sadly passed away just as suddenly as she became sick. It's still unknown what she had.

Last edited by ControlCoreAngel on Wed 24 Mar 2021, 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

angel / mouse owner for 6+ years / they

current babies: pantalaimon / french fry

rip: svanhild / juniper / lumi / winter / echo / hiroko / fat baby / flick / fox / mayonnaise / macaroni / pipin / poppy / skittle
ControlCoreAngel
ControlCoreAngel
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Angelic

https://fandomstuckportal.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

[Help no longer needed] Sudden onset illness, need help identifying! Empty Re: [Help no longer needed] Sudden onset illness, need help identifying!

Post by River Sun 21 Mar 2021, 11:57 pm

When my boy was sick, the URI hit out of nowhere. He just suddenly started sneezing/coughing very loudly. It stopped after about 10 minutes and Baytril was started soon after, he was almost immediately better. It sounds pretty similar, but I can't say for sure. I know you ruled that out but I did just want to mention it just in case it ended up being possible.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum