Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vet wrong about Enrofloxacin dosage?

3 posters

Go down

Vet wrong about Enrofloxacin dosage? Empty Vet wrong about Enrofloxacin dosage?

Post by EmmaTheCabbage Wed 21 Apr 2021, 12:33 pm

Hello.

So my mouse has a respitory infection and I’ve been given a pill of 22.7mg to mix with 100ml of water at a 0.05ml dose twice a day for 3 weeks. She was on it for 1 week before but once course finished her symptoms came back not long after (and worse) so I went back to vet. This time the pill was by itself (she mixed it before for the last batch) but I was confused it’s not 10ml of water instead of 100ml. Is this normal? Everywhere I look online it doesn’t look this diluted. I’ve seen 5mg/kg (my mouse is 30g) in most places but the vets dose gives a concentration of something 10times more diluted. Do these measurements look normal? I would go back and ask vet but it’s been so much hassle just to get the meds (2weeks of endless calls and emails) so it’s much easier just to see if some knows here.

https://imgur.com/a/nnI0kg5

EmmaTheCabbage

Back to top Go down

Vet wrong about Enrofloxacin dosage? Empty Re: Vet wrong about Enrofloxacin dosage?

Post by River Wed 21 Apr 2021, 8:11 pm

I would honestly just get a new vet. A week of baytril is a very short term course. Usually, it goes on 5 days *after* symptoms disappear. This helps to prevent it from coming back like it did with your girl. Her relapse was likely preventable. Sad Sorry you're going through this! You and your girl deserve better.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Vet wrong about Enrofloxacin dosage? Empty Re: Vet wrong about Enrofloxacin dosage?

Post by EmmaTheCabbage Wed 21 Apr 2021, 9:06 pm

River wrote:I would honestly just get a new vet. A week of baytril is a very short term course. Usually, it goes on 5 days *after* symptoms disappear. This helps to prevent it from coming back like it did with your girl. Her relapse was likely preventable. Sad Sorry you're going through this! You and your girl deserve better.

That’s probably a good idea tbh. Unfortunately I live in Hawaii and there’s only a select few vets on the island that take mice. I was a bit shocked at the short dose too (and how diluted it is) but I’ve only been keeping mice a few months so figured that was normal (until I stayed up all night researching meds and wondering how the vet and internet were so different). Was so sad because my other mouse too (was very clearly severely ill) and the vet didn’t seem to notice how bad it was. I think if she knew more she’d be alive still. I’ve learnt a lesson from it all though. It’s easier to just buy meds myself and not trust anyone with my babies xD. Just hoping it’s not too late for my last one. Noticed the poor thing was starting to cry blood which definitely isn’t good.

EmmaTheCabbage

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera Fri 23 Apr 2021, 11:46 pm

Honestly it can be very hard to find vets that actually know anything about rodents. 

The vets we took my roommates' rats to would basically just stare at them and we'd say "It's an URI, prescribe us some doxycycline"  :undecided:We also had to tell one of them that, no, it wasn't blood coming out of his nose, it was porphyrin. 

I honestly go the same route you're going at this point - if it's just a URI, I self-medicate them and it usually goes away. If it doesn't or gets worse that's when I go to see the vet, and I make sure it's one of the vets that I've seen before and I know knows their stuff. 

I'm sorry about your babies, it really sucks that they messed up and your mice suffered for it. If I were you... I might try to dispute the vet bills and get your money back, since they were dosing incorrectly completely.

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum