Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old lady mouse pregnant =(

2 posters

Go down

Old lady mouse pregnant =( Empty Old lady mouse pregnant =(

Post by squeaks1111 Mon 24 May 2021, 6:37 pm

One of my pet mice is a beautiful healthy 2-year-old female named Diamond. I think ~12 days ago she got attacked by a wild male mouse who is in our house, and now she's pregnant. She is far too old to start having babies. I'm worried she is in extreme danger when her pregnancy comes to term ~8 days from now and she can't deliver them, because in elderly female mice who have never had a litter, the birth canal is too narrow and the cartillage has fused too much to give way.
My question is: what can be done to save her life and her babies' if possible?
I feel that time is of the essence... so worried watching her belly bump start to grow visibly now =(
Thanks in advance for any help.

squeaks1111
squeaks1111

KenzelColony likes this post

Back to top Go down

Old lady mouse pregnant =( Empty Re: Old lady mouse pregnant =(

Post by KenzelColony Mon 24 May 2021, 10:14 pm

I'm really sorry for you and your mouse, this must be a very stressful situation for you both. My suggestion is just make sure that you keep a close eye on her and make sure she has plenty of soft light nesting material like tissue, toilet paper, or paper towels, if you are unsure if she will build a nest well enough for her to be comfortable during the birthing process then get a smallish box and fill it with that material and some of her bedding so she can easily arrange it how she wants. As with any pregnant mouse, try not to disturb her to much when she is giving birth, but if you feel that she wont be able to do it on her own do make sure you are close by if a problem comes up, just always do whatever you can to make sure she is comfortable and relaxed as much as she can be. Worse case is you lose both her and the babies, and that is so heart breaking to think about but you have to know that is a possibility and to be prepared if it does happen. If the babies are stillborn, that will be sad as well but at least she will have gotten them out so she doesn't have to be as stressed. If you lose her and the babies end up being born healthy, its your decision what you do with them but if you keep them, a small tub with a blanket and heating pad will work as a living space until they get bigger and kitten replacement formula is the best option for hand feeding, when they are newborn they are very very tiny so a fine tip paint brush is the best for feeding. Whatever happens, I wish you the best of luck!

KenzelColony
Jr Member
Jr Member

Capricorn

Back to top Go down

Post by squeaks1111 Wed 09 Jun 2021, 12:58 pm

Thanks so much for your kind advice.
I'm happy to report that it was a false alarm. She wasn't pregnant, and she's doing fine =)
squeaks1111
squeaks1111

KenzelColony likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down