Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Skin issues?

3 posters

Go down

Skin issues?  Empty Skin issues?

Post by Inaiyau Sat 10 Jul 2021, 2:53 pm

Hello again!
I am back with another issue. They keep throwing things at me lol.

My oldest (Zuriel), who's about a year, a little older possibly, has little scabs on her shoulders. There's no fur missing around them or anything, and she's still doing everything the same. Though this is the one who we thought might have gastric cancer from talking to a few people.
My middle child (Yuridia), who's about a year, had a little scab between her shoulder blades and still has it. Hasn't gotten worse or better, and has had it for about two weeks. She did lose a small amount of hair around it but it seems to be growing back.
These two are bonded, but I have them separate at the moment. Yuridia had a sudden, quick-growing, tumour appear last Friday and removed on Tuesday. She's healing up fine, and is eating and doing all her normal activities.

My youngest (Chyme), whom I've had for a week, is in great health except for pinworms. She is completely separate from the others (the other side of the room separate), has had no contact with them, and is getting a round of medication for deworming. She appears to have no scabs and I wash my hands between handling her and the others, or anything to do with either.

When I took Yuridia in Monday to have her tumour checked out, the vet said he was unconcerned about her scab, but now that Zuriel has it I'm thinking about maybe taking them in again when I have Yuridia's stitches checked out in about a week and a half and having the scabs checked out if they're still present. Or do I need to go in sooner? And does anyone know what it possibly is?? Is it something I should be worried about, or does this happen when they get older?
Inaiyau
Inaiyau
Jr Member
Jr Member

Fine

Back to top Go down

Skin issues?  Empty Re: Skin issues?

Post by River Sat 10 Jul 2021, 7:24 pm

It's not a *huge* concern. To me it sounds like mites which of course needs treatment, but they're extremely common. They come in on bedding, toys, food, hay, whatever you put in their cage, so most mouse owners get a run in with them at some point. They're also very treatable. Most people treat at home with diluted ivermectin but since you're already on your way to the vet, kitten Revolution is a hell of a lot easier! Laughing

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Dee67 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Inaiyau Sun 11 Jul 2021, 3:22 pm

Okay, thank you so much!!
Inaiyau
Inaiyau
Jr Member
Jr Member

Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee67 Wed 14 Jul 2021, 5:37 pm

@Inaiyau I hope all your mice are doing well now. I'm glad Yuridia has come through tumour removal so well. Pinworms...yuck 😆 Good they are treatable. All my best

Dee67
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/figgusnewton/

Back to top Go down

Post by Inaiyau Fri 16 Jul 2021, 3:09 pm

Thank you!!
Chyme and Yuridia are doing better, Zuriels gotten more scabs but the vet gave us some medicated shampoo so we're trying medical baths every few days. Hoping it helps!
Inaiyau
Inaiyau
Jr Member
Jr Member

Fine

Dee67 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee67 Fri 16 Jul 2021, 10:37 pm

Did the vet think it was mites? Or an allergy to something? Just wondering. It the shampoo medicated with Ivermectin?

Dee67
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/figgusnewton/

Back to top Go down

Post by Inaiyau Mon 02 Aug 2021, 1:03 pm

The vet's not entirely sure what it was, he was thinking a skin infection and thought it best to try to treat for that first.

I don't believe so? The bottle says, "Chlorhexidine 4% shampoo"

I bathed all three with it, and Yuridia's small patch healed up within a few days while Zuriel's got a bit worse for about a week, then it started to scab over and heal like Yuridia's.
So Yuridia's completely healed now and Chyme never had it and hasn't still so she's good. But sadly Zuriel passed away a few days ago so I'll never if it would've entirely healed on her or not. But there's been no return of it so far on Yuridia.

So, not mites I'm guessing?
Inaiyau
Inaiyau
Jr Member
Jr Member

Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee67 Tue 03 Aug 2021, 6:22 am

Probably not, it's for bacteria. I'm so sorry you lost Zuriel 😔

Dee67
Sr Member