Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mouse has diarrhoea and yellow skin, very thin

2 posters

Go down

Mouse has diarrhoea and yellow skin, very thin Empty Mouse has diarrhoea and yellow skin, very thin

Post by adventuretortoise Sun 15 Aug 2021, 10:08 pm

Asking around a few forums to try and ask for advice. I have a vet appointment booked this week, but I want to see if there's anything I can do for now, or any ideas of what this could be.

This girl is about 7 months old, she's always been the smallest which I chalked up to being the runt, but recently she looks very thin as well. I treat for mites when they arrive and haven't noticed any scratching/itching. For the past few days she has been having diarrhoea, she is still eating and drinking but looks like none of it is adding weight. Her ears and tail look very pale, almost yellow. She also seems to be wobbly, I'm guessing from not feeling well, but also has a tendency to always curl into a ball. It's almost like she 'hops' everywhere, so I'm a little worried about her back legs. I give her room to run around regularly, she doesn't seem to want to use the wheels though. She has three sisters, one of which I adopted from the same litter. That girl is doing fine, put on weight, and is much bigger than her. Hence why I'm worried about her size. I give them natural sunlight, fresh water, and mouse food with occasional treats like seeds and dry mealworms. I can't think of anything that I'm doing that could be causing this.

I've had one mouse pass from this breeder pass away in 6 months, and another have a tumour in less than 12 months, so I'm wondering if once again this may be an issue with poor breeding in some way. I have a few more days until the vet, so I would appreciate advice on what to do in the short term. I wonder if quarantining her might be best, but she seems very anxious, so I hesitate to separate her from her sisters. If anyone has any suggestions of what to do or ideas for what this could be, I would really really appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

adventuretortoise

Back to top Go down

Mouse has diarrhoea and yellow skin, very thin Empty Re: Mouse has diarrhoea and yellow skin, very thin

Post by cerial Mon 16 Aug 2021, 11:08 pm

I would see how she reacts to some diluted orange gatoraid as well as a bit of white bread. Play with her glucose levels.

Mice are diffrent and one may require a require a diffrent diet then the others.
By having a selection they can choose what to eat and adjust for varying glucose levels.

Here is what I feed my mice at this point. It all goes into a big tote, is mixed up,  and I give them a cereal bowl a day of food.

I have 2 overweight mice as a result. But all the mice including those two are extremly active and healthy.

3/4 of my mice food
Cereals that have grain(that they can carry) like checks or cheerios, whole grain oats(oatmeal with just rolled oats), rice krispies,  Purina Beyond Organic Chicken, Egg & Carrot Recipe Small Breed Dry Dog Food (expensive but has no corn)

The other 1/4
1/4" Oyster crackers(they can carry these) , pretzel sticks(they carry them like bones) , natcho cheese dortios(broken up as a treat mixed in with food)

Treats include live (caught) grasshoppers,  live (caught) crickets, hand fed pasta noodles, hand fed bread pieces, hand fed banana pieces, and hand fed pineapple.

I give them filtered tap water in two 4 ounce waterbottles which is gone in  around 30 hours.

cerial

Back to top Go down

Mouse has diarrhoea and yellow skin, very thin Empty Re: Mouse has diarrhoea and yellow skin, very thin

Post by adventuretortoise Mon 16 Aug 2021, 11:44 pm

Thank you for your reply. I did my best to help her glucose levels, made sure to give her lots of love and treats, but it was her time. I stayed by her side all night until she passed away, she had her sister there to comfort her. I kept her warm and when she passed I buried her with flowers. I'm not sure I can delete this post, so I will leave this as is.

adventuretortoise

cerial and corvusaur like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down