Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will a Neutered Male Kill Pups?

3 posters

Go down

Will a Neutered Male Kill Pups? Empty Will a Neutered Male Kill Pups?

Post by Nicolademee Mon 04 Oct 2021, 10:07 pm

Hey everyone

I have 5 neutered male mice and as it's been 30 days since their procedures, I'm looking to start pairing them off. I just brought home a healthy girl who may be pregnant, and along with putting her with my experienced mom mouse, I'd like to put one of the boys too. However, if she does give birth, I'm worried the male might harm the pups since they aren't his.

I've already introduced a boy to the girls for a short period in a neutral space. It definitely looks like he doesn't remember his manners, and the girls aren't fond of him either (or each other yet). So I've just switched to another, calmer male and that seems to be going a little better.

Should I be worried about cannibalism of these pups? I'd love for them to grow up with a boy or two (not looking too far into multiple boys since I know even neutered it's not very safe) so i can have some colonies already paired when the babies are old enough to separate from mom.

Also, any tips on reteaching neutered boys how to deal with other mice? They seem like such little jerks still, even if it is way less than when they were whole.

Thoughts, anyone?
Nicolademee
Nicolademee
Jr Member
Jr Member

Capricorn Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Will a Neutered Male Kill Pups? Empty Re: Will a Neutered Male Kill Pups?

Post by Nicolademee Mon 04 Oct 2021, 10:09 pm

As a side note, I've seen some amazing keepers like Creek Valley Critters have success with neutered males being with pups (and helping raise them!), But i don't want to use her as my only source on this since I couldn't find any other info on neutered males specifically with litters.
Nicolademee
Nicolademee
Jr Member
Jr Member

Capricorn Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee67 Mon 04 Oct 2021, 10:18 pm

@Nicolademee Eeek, that is a hard one, it probably depends on the male. Perhaps contact some breeders or shelters via email etc to see what their experience has been? Also, I was wondering how much it cost to get your 5 males done as I would like to get a male done someday.

Dee67
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/figgusnewton/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicolademee Tue 05 Oct 2021, 6:32 pm

Dee67 wrote: @Nicolademee Eeek,  that is a hard one,  it probably depends on the male. Perhaps contact some breeders or shelters via email etc to see what their experience has been? Also, I was wondering how much it cost to get your 5 males done as I would like to get a male done someday.

Hmm, I'll do that! I ended up separating all 3 and letting them be alone overnight. I reintroduced the girls today and they're doing better as well as tried the first male. All 3 are well, not friends yet but no aggression. Fun fact: one of the girls is the mom to all my boys Smile

As for neutering cost, I have an amazing vet I've gone to for a long time that will do things for me for much cheaper than is typical. The initial price we quoted me for was $90 per male (already low! Average is $150-300) and with 5 males, the estimated total was $450. However, the final bill came out to $270! Not sure how that happened but I won't complain Laugh Especially because he did a great job!

If you have any questions on healing process or anything I'm also happy to answer Smile
Nicolademee
Nicolademee
Jr Member
Jr Member

Capricorn Sluggish

Dee67 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by River Thu 07 Oct 2021, 8:50 pm

30 days post neuter still has the body going through a lot of hormonal changes, which typically only fizzle out enough for doe interaction 5-6 weeks post neuter. For my buck group it took closer to six months because, as you mentioned, they’re much riskier. (i only have one because there weren’t other options for one of my bucks). i probably wouldn’t trust these bucks with any litters right now, but even later, nannying isn’t always recommended since mice can be so fickle.

@Dee, it varies so much. My friends in less expensive states quoted $60 USD, but I live in Florida where tourism sends the cost of living into the heavens, so it’s $400. My breeder works for a vet though so I managed a good deal.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Dee67 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down