Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Urinary tract infection

2 posters

Go down

Urinary tract infection Empty Urinary tract infection

Post by macho mouse Thu 14 Oct 2021, 7:09 am

Hello. I'm a new mouse mom. I rescued a male baby mouse just a few days old from a hay bale that I was feeding our horses with. I'm guessing Macho Man is not quite 4 weeks old now. He's still on kmr formula. I've introduced dry quick oats about 2 weeks ago. More recently I've added ground up dry Mazuri rodent blocks to his diet. He has an abundance of energy (popcorn stage?). He's a meticulous groomer and eating well, although Macho prefers formula over everything else. I've introduced water, but he dosen't seem interested. He wants his formula. I use Kaytee white, unscented paper bedding in his aquarium which is heated by a heating pad. I also use flannels which are changed and washed daily with an unscented dish soap. I clean his aquarium weekly with this same soap along with an occasional unscented baby wipe. Here's where I'm starting to panic: I noticed couple days ago that there was one shred of paper bedding that was light pink. Now today when I watched him squat, there was a second shred of bedding that was a darker pink. Help! Has anyone had an UTI experience with their mouse? I don't know if I can find a vet in this area who knows that much about mice. Can I buy antibiotics online? I think Macho would take the antibiotic if it was sweetened. What would be the dosage? Macho is so small and wiggly I don't know if I can weigh him. I don't know anything about a mouse's timeline for genital maturation, but I'll try to get a better view of his underside. I'll try to wrap him burrito style in a Kleenex. Any health advice would be greatly appreciated, along with feeding/weaning advice. This is my first mouse and already we've bonded. That might have something to do with only getting 2 or 3 hours of uninterrupted sleep at a time to feed this little Macho Man. Thanks for listening and trying to talk me off the ledge!

macho mouse

Back to top Go down

Urinary tract infection Empty Re: Urinary tract infection

Post by LioMeis Sat 16 Oct 2021, 5:41 pm

Oh my! Well I want to start by saying that's definitely vet worthy, and I wouldn't try treating it yourself since it's hard to know what's actually causing it. It could be something other that a UTI especially since he was wild.

If he'll take it you could try giving him a little diluted 1 to 1 Pedialyte-water and see if he'll take it to keep him from getting too dehydrated while you search for a vet.

Love Beans Love
LioMeis
LioMeis

Leo Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by macho mouse Sun 17 Oct 2021, 1:04 am

Thanks LioMeis! I spoke with a vet yesterday and she said, "A pink orange to rust color urine can be actually very normal for rodents. They excrete a pigment called porphyrin in their bodily fluids, urine, tears, saliva. That can cause a discoloration from what we typically expect to be clear or yellow fluid." So far I haven't seen any signs of discoloration since.

macho mouse

LioMeis likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum