Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scary bedding!

+4
CinnamonPearl
Bthny
scaredymouse
Rodents rock!
8 posters

Go down

Scary bedding! Empty Scary bedding!

Post by Rodents rock! Sat 23 Jul 2016, 9:04 pm

So today I was at PETSMART to get some bedding. I usually use Carefresh but was looking at some other ones. I think the brand was Kaytee Clean & Cozy. When I was reading the package it had a warning on it. Said something about containing wood dust which is known to cause cancer. Why would that even be legal to sell!!!!! Rodents are already so prone to cancer, why would you put them in a bedding like that???
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Scary bedding! Empty Re: Scary bedding!

Post by scaredymouse Sat 23 Jul 2016, 9:34 pm

You would be surprised to know how many products that have that same warning on it. Here is an explanation of it. It must have been manufactured in California.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=27711857

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Bthny Sat 23 Jul 2016, 9:49 pm

All of the Kaytee bedding products I've looked at had that warning, which is why I don't use it.  I tried researching it at one point, but couldn't find anything specific about Keytee products, just that California has stricter regulations on products being labeled than most states.  Everything I found on wood dust was along the lines of occupational hazards and not from using products, so I suspect that the risk to consumers is pretty low, but, for the safety of me and my mice, I avoid it all together.
Bthny
Bthny
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Sun 24 Jul 2016, 12:59 am

Interesting article scaredymouse. Thank you for sharing that.

Bthny, I feel the same way, why chance it. Especially since mice are walking and sleeping in the bedding most of their life.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Sun 24 Jul 2016, 6:17 am

Wait wait wait wait. Does all Kaytee clean and cozy have this?! Why have I not heard of this?? I need to check my bag immediately!

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 24 Jul 2016, 8:17 am

They slap that label on any little thing that might be linked to cancer - no matter how small. There's heavy fines if they don't and the product is made or sold in California.  I imagine there's likely trace amounts of wood dust in all paper and wood based beddings.  I'm not at all concerned about it.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sun 24 Jul 2016, 1:19 pm

Me neither. I grew up in Cali, that sayin warning Wason everything. Everything!

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by River Sun 24 Jul 2016, 4:01 pm

Eh. My bag doesn't have that warning on it so I'm not particularly worried, either.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sun 24 Jul 2016, 5:44 pm

The warning is only placed on bags that are produced in California, so I'm guessing that they have a warehouse or manufacturing plant in California that produces some of their inventory.

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Sun 24 Jul 2016, 5:47 pm

scaredymouse wrote:The warning is only placed on bags that are produced in California, so I'm guessing that they have a warehouse or manufacturing plant in California that produces some of their inventory.

Yea, and me being in Arizona, I'm sure that's where our supply comes from.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse Sun 24 Jul 2016, 5:58 pm

I've used Kaytee Clean and Cozy for years with no ill effects to my girls. What scares me more is the hyping on Carefresh bags re new "odor-control formula." In the past, Carefresh added baking soda to their bedding, not a good thing for meecers and probably other rodents. There was a whole brouhaha about it and they stopped doing so a year or so ago...or at least no longer proudly marked it on the bags. My worry re the new "odor-control formula" is that it either still contains baking soda or something even worse so I stick with the devil I know in Kaytee C&C.

MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by Brynne Tue 26 Jul 2016, 2:30 am

Thanks for that, scaredymouse!  I see the Prop 65 warnings everywhere, but didn't know it originally had anything to do with water!  What a crock of poo ! I would be hard-pressed to find any drink more toxic than the public tap water here.
We could really use this warning on food. How many L.A.ians know that their trendy "Non-GMO" wheat products are chock-full of RoundUp?

Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

http://bit.ly/MyOldVHSTapes

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 26 Jul 2016, 9:21 am

River wrote:Eh. My bag doesn't have that warning on it so I'm not particularly worried, either.

Some companies only bother printing the warning on products made or intended to be sold in California. Others slap it on all packaging no matter where its going, just to simplify things. Whether the label is there or not it's still the same product. I really don't think you're going to be able to avoid wood dust unless you avoid all wood and paper based bedding. Not to say that it needs to be avoided. I personally don't think it does. Just if it were something you were concerned about.

Clean n Cozy white seems to me to be one of the least dusty paper beddings I've used. Green Dreamzzz is another.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum