Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introductions through the split cage method.

4 posters

Go down

Introductions through the split cage method. Empty Introductions through the split cage method.

Post by Rodents rock! Mon 25 Jul 2016, 10:59 pm

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever introduced female mice through the split cage method?
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Introductions through the split cage method. Empty Re: Introductions through the split cage method.

Post by CinnamonPearl Tue 26 Jul 2016, 12:07 am

By split cage method, do you mean splitting a tank with one group one one side and the other group on the other, and then lifting it? I haven't done it personally, but it doesn't seem to be necessary. So long as you introduce in neutral territory, it seems like it'd be less stressful to just put them together immediately and not take any chances. But I'm not certain. You could try it and see how it goes.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Introductions through the split cage method. Empty Re: Introductions through the split cage method.

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 26 Jul 2016, 8:39 am

Oh, I don't have any introductions to do right now, I was just wondering about this method for mice. So basically you clean the tank and everything in it. You divide the tank in half with a metal type screen. So they can see and smell each other but not get to each other. This is done till there looks like no aggression and then you remove the screen. It could take a day or a few days, or more. So really I was just curious to see if anyone has used this method for mice. I've used it with gerbils and had great success with it.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Tue 26 Jul 2016, 8:45 am

I think a version of that is mentioned in the TFM care articles, actually! It could definitely work.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Tue 26 Jul 2016, 9:12 am

Not a split cage method, but when I start my introduction process, I put the mice's cages just a couple of inches apart. They can see and smell each other but not close enough to grab or bite through the bars. I also switch objects from each cage and some bedding from the nests. I usually do this for about a week.

The mice get really curious and excited to see the other mice and often "mirror" each other - so if one mouse is on the left side of the cage, the other mice will be on the left side of their cage. It's like they just want to follow each other and keep watch at all times.

All my introductions have gone super duper easily. Whether or not it's down to this method, I can't say, but whatever I'm doing has been working so I'll carry on doing things this way.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by River Tue 26 Jul 2016, 5:33 pm

I somewhat tried this with Maier + Graham. I placed the smaller cage inside the normal tank. Didn't work for me, but they were hard to introduce no matter what I did.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 26 Jul 2016, 8:48 pm

MouseLover wrote:Not a split cage method, but when I start my introduction process, I put the mice's cages just a couple of inches apart. They can see and smell each other but not close enough to grab or bite through the bars. I also switch objects from each cage and some bedding from the nests. I usually do this for about a week.

The mice get really curious and excited to see the other mice and often "mirror" each other - so if one mouse is on the left side of the cage, the other mice will be on the left side of their cage. It's like they just want to follow each other and keep watch at all times.

All my introductions have gone super duper easily. Whether or not it's down to this method, I can't say, but whatever I'm doing has been working so I'll carry on doing things this way.

Mouselover, that is a really great system you have there and I like that you switch some of their items, really good idea. Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 26 Jul 2016, 8:50 pm

River wrote:I somewhat tried this with Maier + Graham. I placed the smaller cage inside the  normal tank. Didn't work for me, but they were hard to introduce no matter what I did.
River, I did see something like that on a YouTube video once.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum