Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sneezing? What should I do?

3 posters

Go down

Sneezing? What should I do? Empty Sneezing? What should I do?

Post by lupus_corde Thu 11 Aug 2016, 5:57 am

Right, my mice have been home for 5 days now and it started off with Eclipse sneezing three days ago. It happens pretty constantly and is annoying her. Today Luna has started sneezing (cancels out an allergy) At first I thought it was due to there nesting material (toilet paper) which turned out to be scented! I removed immediately and replaced with non scented. That was two days ago. But the sneezing continued. I saw this thing called new home sneezes that is caused by the mice smelling their new environment but it is meant to stop after a few days of being home. I don't think it is a URI as their breathing is fine, they are active, no clicking, Luna even let me hold her for the first time ever today! And there diet/drinking habits are good to. Should I call the vets and ask? Also the sneezing is incredibly quiet, You mainly notice it by them stepping back and rubbing their noses with a tiny a-choo. The temperature in the room is fine too. I wasn't expecting to run into problems as early as this but I guess these things happen.

My mice: Luna, Eclipse and Galaxy
lupus_corde
lupus_corde
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sunshine

Back to top Go down

Sneezing? What should I do? Empty Re: Sneezing? What should I do?

Post by CinnamonPearl Thu 11 Aug 2016, 8:25 am

Yes, the new home sneezes are called box shock. Though it seems like whatever this sneezing is is being passed around between your ice, it could still be box shock. Wait to two weeks after you got them. If they're still sneezing, it's a URI, and they'll need a vet appointment.

I had to deal with a URI in Rosie a week after I took her home, and Mabel had her first eye troubles a month after. Welcome to the mouse life, where you'll never be too far away from your vet hospital.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Thu 11 Aug 2016, 8:59 am

Violet had a bit of box shock and is perfectly fine now. As CP said, if the sneezing continues after two weeks, or if they start to develop other symptoms, then they could have a URI. I think sometimes the stress of moving home can make mice more vulnerable to illness.

Hopefully it's just box shock. It sounds like they are doing well otherwise Smile

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by lupus_corde Thu 11 Aug 2016, 9:00 am

Good, good thanks for giving me some info Smile

My mice: Luna, Eclipse and Galaxy
lupus_corde
lupus_corde
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sunshine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum