Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rats vs Cats, Is there really a problem?

+3
CallaLily
CinnamonPearl
GabbiLuvsMice
7 posters

Go down

Rats vs Cats, Is there really a problem? Empty Rats vs Cats, Is there really a problem?

Post by GabbiLuvsMice Sun 14 Aug 2016, 7:36 am

This is copied from a post I made on a rat forum and no one has responded so I decided to post it on here for some hope of help:

I have wanted rodents my whole life and I recently convinced my Grandma to get mice at her house the only problem is that she lives in a whole different state.. I really want pet rats at my house but the answer has always been no. My parents have always used the fact that we have a cat as an argument, they don't think pet rodents are really gross or they are ugly, the problem is the cat. My dad recently said that if we didn't have the cat, the most likely answer would be yes (he is allergic to and doesn't really like cats) but of course I am not just going to give my cat up because my mom and I love her. After a bit of asking what I could possibly do to get rats, he said the iconic "Talk to your mother", I feel like that is somewhat progressive. Is there any way that I can get rats without getting rid of my cat? I think they think that I will leave the door open or let the cat in the room when they are out and the only thing I have to combat that is I have never left the lid off of my mouse cage in Minnesota. I would not plan on introducing the rat and the cat because she has brought in mice and birds before so I do not trust that she does not have a taste for them, but I feel like I am responsible enough to keep the doors closed to the cage and close my door to my room when I am not in it. Could someone give me some advice on convincing? Or is there no hope? By the way I am 13 so there is not really an option to tell them that I will cover all the expenses. They know I would care for the animal and not ignore it so literally the only problem is my cat.

If any of you have some advice on what to tell them please let me know Bad Day

GabbiLuvsMice
Sr Member
Sr Member

Gemini Wishful

Back to top Go down

Rats vs Cats, Is there really a problem? Empty Re: Rats vs Cats, Is there really a problem?

Post by CinnamonPearl Sun 14 Aug 2016, 8:59 am

Gabbi, either show them this post I'm making or tell them what I said:

I am a 17 year old mouse owner who has owned six mice over the years. My mother has had a pet cat for nearly two months and I have never had a problem. It is not difficult to remember to keep the doors that you need to shut. In fact, I sometimes am even able to leave my doors open because my mice live in heavy aquarium tanks with metal screen tops that are locked onto the tank, something a cat can never hope to open. There's just no way. Rats are different because they can't live in tanks, but still, keeping a door closed isn't exactly a chore. Of all my six mice, I have never once lost one to my cat. So long as the right door is closed, having cats and rodents in the same house is a nonissue.

Most of us on this mouse forum own both rodents and cats. If there was an actual danger with it, none of us would. We would have chosen one or the other, but no mouse owner here has because there's no trouble with it. At all.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Rats vs Cats, Is there really a problem? Empty Re: Rats vs Cats, Is there really a problem?

Post by CallaLily Sun 14 Aug 2016, 9:05 am

I don't have any experience with rats, but I do have both cats and mice. As long as they're kept in a sturdy enclosure with a good locking lid/door, it shouldn't be a problem. If your cat does seem overly interested you could move them into a separate room and keep the door closed, keeping it cat free.

But honestly, it sort of sounds like the cat is just an excuse and IME "go ask your mother/father" doesn't necessarily mean they're changing their mind.  It could be they're tired of being "the bad guy" and just passing it off to the other parent knowing their answer will be the same.  Most parents usually come to these decisions together.  Being repeatedly asked for the same thing over and over, even though they've already said no, can be really frustrating.  It may pay to just continue showing how responsible you are with the pets you have, your chores, school work, etc and come back to it later.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent Sun 14 Aug 2016, 9:34 am

I have three cats, three mice, and a hamster, and I've never had a problem. Just make sure you keep an eye on your rodents when they are out of the cage, and you'll be fine. In fact, one of my kitties, little Josie, let Sarah cuddle up and sleep under her leg. I wish I had pictures; it was so cute!

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Selina (Broken Black), and Olivia (Broken Tricolor)

Rainbow bridge: Molly (PEW), Lucy (Brindle), and Sarah (PEW)
AnonONIagent
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by GabbiLuvsMice Sun 14 Aug 2016, 9:40 am

I read him all of your guy's comments and he wasn't convinced, I will talk to my mom when we get back from our trip, I told him I would spend all of my money which I feel is a little unfair.

GabbiLuvsMice
Sr Member
Sr Member

Gemini Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent Sun 14 Aug 2016, 9:47 am

My mom also used our cats as an excuse to avoid getting rodents, but eventually I wore her down. When we did get them, she was startled by how well behaved the cats were around the rodents. While I'd never let them in the same room together without supervision, I feel quite comfortable letting my cats and rodents interact so long as I'm keeping close watch. I think cats are smart enough to recognize the difference between a rodent that is a pet and one that is a pest.

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Selina (Broken Black), and Olivia (Broken Tricolor)

AnonONIagent
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent Sun 14 Aug 2016, 9:52 am

Additionally, you can buy cat-proof cage top latches at pet stores. My local Petco sells and uses them. I've never seen a need for them though; getting the top off of an aquarium is something that kinda requires opposable thumbs.

AnonONIagent
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Sun 14 Aug 2016, 10:12 am

The fact that the word of three experienced mouse owners couldn't sway him says to me that the cat is an excuse. Just keep asking and wearing them down. So long as you can combat their excuse about the cat, it makes it less effective in the argument.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Sun 14 Aug 2016, 12:51 pm

I don't want to be the bad guy here, but...
Sometimes it just comes down to the fact that... Maybe your parents just don't want rats. It sounds a bit like my situation—your dad says he'd let you but your mom doesn't want you to. I'm in the same boat! I know how badly you want rats. Trust me. And by all means you can continue trying. But sometimes it's just not possible. Do I believe that having rats and a cat is a problem? No. But I also don't believe that keeping mice in the basement where my room is is a problem. And that's what my mom always says. Parents use these things as a handy excuse. I don't mean to crush your dreams. I could be wrong here. Just sayin'.

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Sun 14 Aug 2016, 5:16 pm

I think you'd have an easier time keeping mice in the same house as a cat than rats. Mice can be kept in tanks with sturdy lids and locking clips, whereas you'd have to keep rats in a cage. So if the cat got in your room, the mice would be safe, whereas the rats might get scratched at through the bars.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by CAPSLOCK Sun 14 Aug 2016, 9:54 pm

Aside from the "excuse" issue which is a different issue...

Rats and cats usually do well together. Most pet rats won't run from a cat, and don't act like prey, so cats aren't so keen on chasing after them. I had indoor/outdoor cats who were hunters, but never had an issue with the rats. They were afraid of the rats actually. After school, we would let the rats run around the whole upstairs. The cats (3) were never an issue. All were loose in the house together for a few hours each day before the rats put themselves back away. These same cats would eye hamsters for dinner, but as long as they were caged or held it was never a problem. We also had guinea pigs and the cats were afraid of them too.

Later in life, I had 2 rats while I fostered 2 different cats. The first just ignored the rats (these weren't trustworthy to run around, so it was just through the cage). The second cat was very, very interested and would stick her paw in to poke at them. After a short time, she would only occasionally poke at their bums and would yank her paw out when they turned. I imagine one nipped her paw. Usually she would just sit in front of their cage for a few hours at a time. She did the same with the beta tank. Never was a danger to the rats. But again I didn't have those boys loose with her.

4 black lady-mice
CAPSLOCK
CAPSLOCK
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by GabbiLuvsMice Mon 15 Aug 2016, 2:00 am

I like rats because they are more cuddle pets and easier to keep track of, I would be putting wire mesh over the bar of the cage to prevent bothers on both sides.

GabbiLuvsMice
Sr Member
Sr Member

Gemini Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down