Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why are raisins bad?

+4
River
Peachy
Rodents rock!
SoBrill
8 posters

Go down

Why are raisins bad? Empty Why are raisins bad?

Post by SoBrill Wed 24 Aug 2016, 6:33 pm

Hello there!

I was just wondering why raisins are considered to be bad to give to mice but raisins are not, since raisins are just dried grapes.

Thank you in advance for answering!
SoBrill
SoBrill

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Why are raisins bad? Empty Re: Why are raisins bad?

Post by Rodents rock! Wed 24 Aug 2016, 6:35 pm

Hi - dried fruit has a lot more concentrated sugar than fruit in it's original/natural state. Too much sugar isn't good for mice. Hope this helps. Smile
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Wed 24 Aug 2016, 7:17 pm

Raisins have been linked to kidney failure in other animals. I have no idea if it's a definitive thing with mice or if it's simply better safe than sorry, but better safe than sorry. Smile
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by River Wed 24 Aug 2016, 8:48 pm

I've heard of people giving their mice raisins and the mice dying shortly after. For some reason, this doesn't happen with all mice, so I'm not sure. I wouldn't want to risk it though.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent Wed 24 Aug 2016, 11:46 pm

abeona wrote:Raisins have been linked to kidney failure in other animals. I have no idea if it's a definitive thing with mice or if it's simply better safe than sorry, but better safe than sorry. Smile
Grapes have been linked to kidney failure too, I believe, so it's easy to see why raisins are. Also, raisins have a sticky consistency that makes it very easy for mice to choke on them.

Last edited by AnonONIagent on Wed 24 Aug 2016, 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Selina (Broken Black), and Olivia (Broken Tricolor)

Rainbow bridge: Molly (PEW), Lucy (Brindle), and Sarah (PEW)
AnonONIagent
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Wed 24 Aug 2016, 11:51 pm

You know... on the old forum, the admin who advised to pick out raisins said that grapes weren't an issue, but I know with dogs they say no raisins or grapes. When I Googled earlier, I didn't actually find anything about the toxicity of raisins relative to mice, but I know for sure that kidney failure is why the admin said to pick them out. Weird. Pardon
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Thu 25 Aug 2016, 7:45 am

This is a question I've had before (why no to raisins, but ok to grapes) but I never found a clear answer. I know grapes and raisins are a no no for other pets, such as dogs, because of kidney failure. From what I've read, it doesn't seem to be set in stone for dogs either. Some have eaten very little and became quite ill, others have gotten into a lot and been just fine.

Anyway, because of this I choose to skip both raisins and grapes just to be safe. Really there are so many different foods that are safe, there's no reason to risk it. They're not missing out on anything from not getting grapes/raisins.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Thu 25 Aug 2016, 8:30 am

I agree, if there is any doubt, don't feed grapes or raisins. Like Callalily said, there are so many other choices of safe foods for mice.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Fri 26 Aug 2016, 7:37 pm

I believe that grapes are fine - as long as you peel them - because mice can choke on the skins. So perhaps the issue is that raisins aren't peeled?

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Fri 26 Aug 2016, 7:53 pm

I heard that grapes are very poisonous to dogs. There's even a story about grape ice cream, and the reason we don't have it is because Ben of Ben and Jerry's made grape ice cream to impress a girl, but when he did it, she gave a lick to her dog, and the dog just keeled over and died. So he lost the girl and never released the ice cream.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Fri 26 Aug 2016, 7:59 pm

Grapes can cause kidney failure in dogs. Not sure how many grapes they'd need to eat for that to happen though. There's no evidence for them being dangerous to mice apparently, but I guess mice are more suited to eating fruit than dogs? Confused

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down