Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Petco Guarantee?

+4
Rodents rock!
Peachy
River
EverythingAnimal
8 posters

Go down

Petco Guarantee? Empty Petco Guarantee?

Post by EverythingAnimal Sat 03 Sep 2016, 6:16 pm

One of my new mice, Cece, is showing syntoms of a URI, but she is still within Petco's 30 day health gaurantee. Have any of you ever used this gaurantee? If so, what does it entail? and have the Petco contracted vets been any good, or is it worth spending a few bucks to go to a different one? Thanks.

EverythingAnimal
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Petco Guarantee? Empty Re: Petco Guarantee?

Post by River Sat 03 Sep 2016, 6:25 pm

I used it with Maier. They took her and held her until the appointment and I picked her up the day it was over. It worked out very well for me. The vet was able to tell that she was experiencing stress, and made sure that I was told how to deal with this. The vet seemed very knowledgeable even if I didn't get to meet them directly. I was impressed. I would go ahead and contact Petco.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sat 03 Sep 2016, 6:32 pm

Can ypu ask what vet they use and try to look up reviews? The vet Petco uses near me is terrible with smaller pets. I had a boy from Petco who was bleeding a lot when he pooped, and the vet told me to just give him Pepto Bismol... when I took in a different mouse as an emergency, he was just as unhelpful and even dropped him on the floor.

Last edited by abeona on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by River Sat 03 Sep 2016, 6:33 pm

^ True. It would be smartest to ask about their vet reviews, didn't think of that!

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by EverythingAnimal Sat 03 Sep 2016, 6:39 pm

I was going to call today or tomarrow and ask about the details, just wanted to know about the general satisfaction with their vets. River, did you just bring her in in a travel cage, and pick her up when the vet was done looking at her? I guess I could probably just ask Petco this too. Laughing

EverythingAnimal
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Sat 03 Sep 2016, 7:47 pm

I've not had any experience with it, but I wouldn't trust a vet you know nothing about or one that you can't be there with your pet for the exam. No way.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by River Sat 03 Sep 2016, 11:55 pm

Yep! It was a pretty easy process. I don't know if every Petco is the same, though.

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Sun 04 Sep 2016, 7:33 am

You can't use it. I should warn you though. I have heard of people who've given their pets to Petco to be checked by their vet, and Petco euthanized the animal without consent because they figured they could just give them another. Without being present, you cannot protect your pet. I know it works out for a lot of people, but I thought I'd tell you of the risk.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Sun 04 Sep 2016, 7:57 am

CinnamonPearl I also heard of someone whose mouse was euthanized without consent by a petco vet Sad if it was me, I think I'd err on the side of caution and pay the extra money to go to a different vet.

Just my opinion though. I know it's fine for lots of people. Perhaps you can even express your wishes to petco that they are not to euthanize your mouse without your consent?

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Sun 04 Sep 2016, 8:19 am

I'm sure you could, but if they did it anyway, what could you do? The life has already been lost. I would never take that risk just to save the cost of an office visit. Nothing would make the risk worth it.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent Mon 05 Sep 2016, 4:13 pm

I would assume the quality of care depends on the Petco.  I will mention however that I don't think my local Petco does not appear to have a vet office in it, and some conversations with the employees seem to indicate that they contract their vet care out to a separate business. If that's the case for your Petco, I'd be much more comfortable with that than if the vet were employed directly by Petco.

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Selina (Broken Black), and Olivia (Broken Tricolor)

Rainbow bridge: Molly (PEW), Lucy (Brindle), and Sarah (PEW)
AnonONIagent
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Tue 06 Sep 2016, 6:14 am

I would never trust my pet to them for care. I would just spend the money and go to my own vet. Once they are in my house, they are mine. Now, if they pet died... I would make them give me another one with that "Petco guarantee".

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by EverythingAnimal Sat 10 Sep 2016, 10:16 am

Welp, Petco got back to me about there so called "Guarantee." They explained you have to return the mouse to their care, then they will treat it and you would "buy it back." I guess that way they arn't responsible for the death of your pet because they owned it. That's terrible, and they give NO details at all about it on the sheet you sign to get the mouse. I knew they did this before, but I assumed they changed this crazy system years ago! Ugg. Now I have to find a different vet, because the one I used to bring them is closed because of construction and another near me charges $80 just to bring a mouse in to be examined! I've really got to stick to adopting my mice, but I just can't help myself!

EverythingAnimal
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Sat 10 Sep 2016, 12:56 pm

Best of luck! Surely your usual vet has some sort of system to still help patients while the construction is ongoing? Maybe call and try to figure something out. I can't imagine they'd leave all their patients out in the cold.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by EverythingAnimal Sat 10 Sep 2016, 1:45 pm

I think they're open a couple hours a day, but you have to park down the road and walk there, and then there are a lot of people there waiting already unless you call a long time in advance. Not really worth it. It is a fairly good vet though, he has experience with and is willing to preform surgery to remove a tumor an a mouse, and most vets around here have never done anything with mice before, let alone preform surgery! It's only sneezing and the occasional loud breathing right now though, so not an emergency but something that needs to be solved.
I still have third mouse to add to the colony, but I'm avoiding Petco so I don't get attached to one there. I found a breeder 15 minutes away but she emailed me back saying she lost most of her mice earlier this summer because she went on vacation, and the person she hired to look after them had an emergency and couldn't care for them. What a shame. Good breeder and healthy, pretty mice too.

EverythingAnimal
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum