Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Very confused on mesh wheels...

+6
olimarthemouse
Peachy
AnonymousMouseOwner
MouseLover
EverythingAnimal
MooMouse
10 posters

Go down

Very confused on mesh wheels... Empty Very confused on mesh wheels...

Post by MooMouse Tue 06 Sep 2016, 4:37 pm

Hello again! I am looking to upgrade my mouse's wheel from a 5.5inch comfort wheel into something a bit larger. It was big enough for him when he was little, but since I first adopted him he has definitely plumped up and that wheel is too small for him now. My original plan was to go with a "regular" sized comfort wheel, but they are just so darn expensive. I would rather have a mesh wheel because of the price, and the fact that they don't catch poop/pee and fling it all over the mouse.

I've head good and bad things about these wheels. I really just want to know if they are safe (will tiny mice feet get caught in the little holes?)

Thank you!
MooMouse
MooMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

1st Place -- January 2017

Back to top Go down

Very confused on mesh wheels... Empty Re: Very confused on mesh wheels...

Post by EverythingAnimal Tue 06 Sep 2016, 4:40 pm

Look at the first sticky in this section. I was confused when I first started on the other fourm too!

EverythingAnimal
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Tue 06 Sep 2016, 4:43 pm

I have never used a mesh wheel - but lots of the members here use them with no problems. Some people will say that they cause bumblefoot, but this is only caused by mice being made to walk on mesh floors all the time, not mesh wheels.

Meshed wheels are safe for mice. The barred wheels, however, aren't.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by MooMouse Tue 06 Sep 2016, 4:59 pm

EverythingAnimal wrote:Look at the first sticky in this section. I was confused when I first started on the other fourm too!

Yes, I actually read that a while ago but still had my doubts about mouse feet getting caught in the mesh. Is this an actual risk or am I just being silly?

MooMouse
MooMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Tue 06 Sep 2016, 5:10 pm

I currently use a mesh wheel for Scout and haven't had any problems. Also, before I had a saucer wheel for the girls, they had a mesh wheel (For months) and there were no issues what so ever. Holly is a very VERY tiny girl, and she used the mesh wheel for the longest amount of time, she actually really enjoyed it and still loves to use it when I put her in the play cage with it.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Tue 06 Sep 2016, 5:17 pm

I've been using mesh wheels for six years and have never had any mouse get their feet stuck... Even tiny, two-three week old babies ran on the wheels with no injuries. Never heard any stories of feet getting caught in mesh either. The wheels with bars are the dangerous ones.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by olimarthemouse Tue 06 Sep 2016, 6:03 pm

I use a mesh wheel and flying saucer for my mouse. I switch it up every few weeks or whenever I feel like it. But mainly I use a mesh wheel, because they are easier to clean. Just spray them off with a water hose and they're sparkling clean (most of the time Razz ). But I've never had any problems, and Olimar LOVES his wheel!
olimarthemouse
olimarthemouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sweet Tooth

https://www.youtube.com/c/HannahsAnimals

Back to top Go down

Post by River Tue 06 Sep 2016, 6:23 pm

They're safe, but god they're so squeaky. Very, very loud.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 06 Sep 2016, 6:43 pm

I have one for my mice too and so far no problems. I found using coconut oil to grease it really helps stop the squeaking and I only have to reapply it after scrubbing the wheel with hot soapy water. For some reason olive oil did not help at all. Pardon

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by MooMouse Tue 06 Sep 2016, 7:26 pm

Alright, all of that information is very assuring and as long as feet getting stuck isn't a possibility, then I suppose I will get a mesh wheel for Rogue. Thanks again for the help Smile

Side note- I bought a flying saucer wheel in the past and ended up returning it because Rogue did not understand how to use it AT ALL. He's not the smartest mouse Laughing

MooMouse
MooMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 06 Sep 2016, 7:41 pm

With the flying saucer sometimes it just takes them a little while to figure it out. But we had a hamster once that just totally didn't get it. Laugh My mice love them though, and also the Silent Spinner but this group mucks that one up quickly so I don't use it as often for them. Last group of girls didn't really care for the mesh but loved the spinner and saucer.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent Wed 07 Sep 2016, 9:15 pm

MooMouse wrote:Alright, all of that information is very assuring and as long as feet getting stuck isn't a possibility, then I suppose I will get a mesh wheel for Rogue. Thanks again for the help Smile

Side note- I bought a flying saucer wheel in the past and ended up returning it because Rogue did not understand how to use it AT ALL. He's not the smartest mouse Laughing

Selina had no idea what to make of the flying saucer either when I first got her; Petco had given her and her siblings a mesh wheel. But she soon figured out how to use it and loves it now.

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Selina (Broken Black), and Olivia (Broken Tricolor)

Rainbow bridge: Molly (PEW), Lucy (Brindle), and Sarah (PEW)
AnonONIagent
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Brynne Thu 08 Sep 2016, 6:20 am

A tiny dab of vaseline (also called mineral oil, petroleum jelly, petrolatum, etc.) is perfect for making a metal wheel not squeak.

Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

http://bit.ly/MyOldVHSTapes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum