Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seeds as base, and proper supplementation?

2 posters

Go down

Seeds as base, and proper supplementation? Empty Seeds as base, and proper supplementation?

Post by comeandsee Thu 08 Sep 2016, 6:07 pm

The base I am thinking of right now is Western Family Budgie Food. "A well balanced blend formulated to meet budgie seed preferences and support your pet's health." Ingredients: White millet, gold proso millet, red millet, oat groats, canary grass seed, canola seed, nyjer seed, flax seed, sesame seed, caraway seed. There is no guaranteed analysis, but it's possible that I can call the company and ask for one.

Obviously this isn't nutritionally complete, but would it be okay as a staple? Together with various high-quality dog treats and nutritionally complete dog food, as well as different veggies, fruits, and plain cereals that would be available. A little something added to their diet everyday. Is it possible that, with the additional items, this could be everything they need?

I have a small bag of dog food here, and two bags of treats that I got specifically for my future mousies. Ear wiggle The ingredients and guaranteed analysis can be found in the links below for each one. I really love that the treats are made with oat and rice flour. (I'll be watchful giving them the peanut treat, and only feed it intermittently, forgoing it altogether if I see any signs of allergy)
http://www.petcurean.com/product/go-sensitivity-shine-duck-recipe/
http://bosleys.com/dog/treats/product/30000/yogurt-fieldberry-fusion-performatrin-ultra?lang=us
https://petvalu.com/product/30010/peanut-butter-honey-harmony-performatrin-ultra

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thank you

comeandsee

Curious

Back to top Go down

Seeds as base, and proper supplementation? Empty Re: Seeds as base, and proper supplementation?

Post by CallaLily Fri 09 Sep 2016, 4:09 pm

For a mouse with untracked lines, you'll want 12-14% crude protein. Crude fat and fiber should be under 10%. A mouse from well tracked lines and/or one that you're planning to breed may have different needs.

I don't have any experience with using dog food as part of their main diet so I'll let someone else chime in on that.

The first dog biscuit is fine as a treat. As you mentioned, be cautious with the second one that contains peanuts. It's a common allergy and also a bit fatty.

Many here use a good parakeet mix as a staple, along with other grains, seeds, nuts, bugs added in here and there - plus fresh veggies at least twice a week - with good results.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Seeds as base, and proper supplementation? Empty Re: Seeds as base, and proper supplementation?

Post by comeandsee Sun 11 Sep 2016, 9:35 pm

Okay Smile I know that some budgie foods are supplemented with extra vitamins, minerals, etc... Is it okay that this one isn't? I like it primarily because it doesn't have a bunch of added colour and flavourings. My budgies love it, and I'm sure mice will, too.

comeandsee

Curious

Back to top Go down

Post by comeandsee Sun 11 Sep 2016, 9:38 pm

Oh! I was also thinking of adding oats to the seed mix as a part of the staple diet Smile

(Sorry for the double post, it doesn't let me edit posts when I'm on my iPod.)

comeandsee

Curious

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum