Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How is this Guaranteed Analysis?

4 posters

Go down

How is this Guaranteed Analysis?  Empty How is this Guaranteed Analysis?

Post by MooMouse Sat 10 Sep 2016, 9:32 am

So I know that the Crude protein for mouse food should be around 12.5-14.5%, but what about the other things? I'm looking to change mouse food once I finish up this bag because Rogue doesn't eat half of the stuff in it. Here are some Guaranteed Analysis-es (?) from some foods I found in bulk at Pet Supplies Plus:

CRUDE PROTEIN: 14%
CRUDE FAT: 5%
CRUDE FIBER: 8%
MOISTURE: 11%

CRUDE PROTEIN: 14%
CRUDE FAT: 5%
CRUDE FIBER: 7%

CRUDE PROTEIN: 13%
CRUDE FAT: 4%
CRUDE FIBER: 7%

In addition to this, are there any certain ingredients to avoid besides sunflower seeds, peanuts and corn? I would post the ingredient lists as well but the pics I took were a little blurry.

They look pretty simple, which is why they appealed to me. Apparently Rogue doesn't like fancy. Of course, I would continue to supply him with vegetables twice a week and meal worms once. Plus cheerios and oats.'

Thanks you!Smile
MooMouse
MooMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

1st Place -- January 2017

Back to top Go down

How is this Guaranteed Analysis?  Empty Re: How is this Guaranteed Analysis?

Post by CallaLily Sat 10 Sep 2016, 10:04 am

Crude fat and fiber are usually recommended under 10%, so you're good there. I've also seen it said crude fat should be around 5-7%.

When looking at ingredients keep in mind the first few items listed make up the bulk of the mix. You don't need to avoid corn all together, but it is good if it's further down the list.  If you're looking at bird mixes, watch out for things like hot peppers and leeks.  Raisins, mint, and almonds are also things that are generally recommended to avoid as to be better safe than sorry.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sat 10 Sep 2016, 8:27 pm

Actually, crude protein should be below 14% and for pet shop mice from untraced lines, we suggest trying to keep it closer to 13%.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sat 10 Sep 2016, 10:55 pm

It is my understanding that 12-14% is what's recommended.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by River Sat 10 Sep 2016, 11:02 pm

^ Basically, but didn't TFM say that 14% was on the higher end of okay for a mouse? I wouldn't risk it.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 11 Sep 2016, 7:26 am

Yes, it's at the upper end of what's generally recommended. 12-14%.  If the food you happen to choose is 14% and you notice your mouse is itchy or greasy looking, try something a little lower. I know 13% is considered perfect but it's not always easy to find a food that is exactly there and might not be perfect for every mouse.  On the other hand if you're feeding a lower crude protein and your mice look dull or scraggly, you might want to consider upping it a little.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by MooMouse Sun 11 Sep 2016, 8:11 am

Ok, thanks for all of the information. It will definitely be useful in selecting a new food for my mouse. I'm going to continue to search around to try to find a mix with 13% crude protein and at least 5% crude fat. Thanks again! Smile

MooMouse
MooMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

1st Place -- January 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum