Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nehemiah

+5
AnonymousMouseOwner
CallaLily
Artistwolf
Peachy
River
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Nehemiah  Empty Nehemiah

Post by River Thu 15 Sep 2016, 4:17 pm

Nehemiah  WF17JrJ

This is Nehemiah. Or well, he came with that name - he's likely to have it changed soon as we find out what suits him.
We didn't plan on getting any more rabbits, especially not one so large, but Nehemiah was abandoned in a pet-store parking lot. The pet store said to the original owner when they had brought him in earlier that day that they couldn't take him, as he was older and they didn't have the space and he wouldn't sell. So his owner abandoned him in the parking lot that night. He was adopted once already by a different family, who recommended us as owners. They were suddenly moving to Georgia for personal reasons, and didn't have the time for Nehemiah anymore, so he's come to stay with us. He came with his cage (which will be upgraded once he settles in) and all his toys.

He's massive. Bigger than late my New Zealand boy. He's some sort of a mix, and at an estimated 3-5 years old. And surprisingly, he's got a great temperament!

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Nehemiah  Empty Re: Nehemiah

Post by River Thu 15 Sep 2016, 4:20 pm

Oh; we're considering the name Abraham, after the walking dead character. We think they resemble each other pretty well;

Nehemiah  Latest?cb=20160328212146

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Thu 15 Sep 2016, 4:44 pm

Haha! Abraham is one of my favorite characters. Lovey I think that'd be a great name for your rabbit.

What an awful original owner. It's hard to imagine doing that to a pet. Thank goodness he ended up with a good home, I hope you guys will enjoy him. He's super adorable!!
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Thu 15 Sep 2016, 4:50 pm

Aw! I think Abraham is a great name. Kind of funny, Nehemiah to Abraham—people might think you're trying to stick with a biblical theme here! Laughing

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Thu 15 Sep 2016, 5:12 pm

Glad you were able to take him in!

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Thu 15 Sep 2016, 5:13 pm

Aww! He's so cute! I'm glad you rescued him! I still haven't found the right rabbit for me. I've been looking for months. We went and looked at a few in person but they were really squirmy and un-tame. One leaped from my arms and broke for it and we had to help catch it.... You seem to have good luck with rabbits though, yours sound adorable!

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by River Thu 15 Sep 2016, 5:18 pm

Abeona; he's one of mine too!  
I can't imagine how you could do that to an animal, let alone someone as nice as this boy! He really wants attention from everyone who approaches him. It's so cute.

Artist; I hadn't even noticed! That's funny. He definitely suits Abraham, though.

Me too, Calla.

Anon: Most rabbits absolutely hate being held, even if they're fully hand-tame. It's just in their nature. I only had one who loved to be held, and I got him as a very young child. It's all about if they'll approach you and let you pet them, jump in your lap, etc. I have gotten lucky, though! They all love being pet and playing with you. Some rabbits actually play fetch. Cutest thing.
 Have you tried checking a feed store? They sell them for livestock, but they sell them incredibly young, so they're easy to tame and handle! That's where I got my first rabbit and he was the sweetest. Larger breeds are more confident, usually.

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Thu 15 Sep 2016, 5:38 pm

Oh, I will keep that in mind! I never knew they hated handling. That was actually my first time handling a rabbit, and I was kind of nervous lol. The people we went to see said they said they raised them for food, and they never handled them because they didn't want to get "too attached". They didn't even know what breed they were but they showed me the parents so I could see how big they'd get. They were about mini rex size, maybe slightly larger. I handled a really pretty brown & white one for a few seconds until it leaped like I mentioned. I put my hand in front of a hutch and a black & white bunny came and nibbled my finger, but I didn't panic too much because I figured it was a "taste test" like the mice do lol. Maybe I should have asked to see that one.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by River Thu 15 Sep 2016, 5:49 pm

If they're carried often they can adjust to being held often, but in general, it's not common in my experience for them to like it. They're kind of like cats.

Handling rabbits is so hard! They have such awkward shapes to hold, in my opinion. There's a few ways they tolerate being held if you need to carry them from place to place, though. Here's a few helpful links on picking up a rabbit;

https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/pets/rabbits/company/handling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke8XCOJjMp8

In my experience, though, they're more content with cuddling and petting than anything.

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Fri 16 Sep 2016, 6:38 am

He is adorable! And how lucky that he has a good temperament and likes attention... who could say no! Shocking that someone would abandon such a lovely bunny Sad but maybe he was meant to be with you Smile

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Sat 17 Sep 2016, 2:06 am

What a beautiful bunny! I can't understand someone abandoning him!
He looks more of an Abraham than a Nehemiah to me. So lovely though

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by olimarthemouse Sat 17 Sep 2016, 7:26 am

He's adorable! I'm really, really wanting to get a bunny! How much doe they cost monthly?
olimarthemouse
olimarthemouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sweet Tooth

https://www.youtube.com/c/HannahsAnimals

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse Sat 17 Sep 2016, 11:49 am

Nehemiah (or whoever he turns out to be Laughing ) is gorgeous! Glad to hear he has a good temperament -- he's needed it to get through what he's been through! Instead of abandoning him in the dead of night in a parking lot when the pet store said "No", you'd think the owner would have tried an animal shelter or even placed a "free to good home" ad on craigslist.

MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by River Sun 18 Sep 2016, 8:52 pm

Steph; yes, Abraham is now his official name!

Oli; I believe it's roughly 30$ a month for hay and food, and probably about 7$ more for cat litter if you plan on litter-training. I do own four currently, though, so it might be less if you only own one!

He is! He's a bit more timid now that his cage has been upgraded to about 8-9 square feet, but that's understandable. It's new to him, so he likely just needs time to settle into it. I'll be working with him to maintain that good temperament, though.
I agree. Even that would have been better than just abandoning him.

Abe sure has a lot of character. He tried stealing the entire box of oats out of my hands when I didn't get it to him fast enough - and he's a strong boy, too. He has a thing for thumping his feet while I'm filling up his bowls - he loves food and he's very, very impatient. He really enjoys one of my dogs, who he'll snuggle up with through the cage bars. Sometimes the dog will give him kisses on the head and ohmygod it's so cute.

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by olimarthemouse Sun 18 Sep 2016, 9:18 pm

River wrote:
Oli; I believe it's roughly 30$ a month for hay and food, and probably about 7$ more for cat litter if you plan on litter-training. I do own four currently, though, so it might be less if you only own one!

So, you use cat litter to litter train them?
olimarthemouse
olimarthemouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sweet Tooth

https://www.youtube.com/c/HannahsAnimals

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next