Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Want more mice, help??

+2
Peachy
Colors
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Want more mice, help?? Empty Want more mice, help??

Post by Colors Sun 18 Dec 2016, 6:55 pm

Hi! I'm new here, but I've had mice for about 2 years now. (But I've had over 12 of them) I've had so many bad experiences with them in the past while learning about their care. My biggest problem is fighting. I almost always keep my mice in 10g aquariums with all the necessities and some toys, and they're always in groups of 3 or 4. (All female) I have had many dominate females kill their cage mates or make them go crazy by attacking them. Right now I have a female mouse living all alone because her cage mates died. (One from my dominate mouse, Carmen, and another from a tumor.) I want to get her some friends and I believe she is very docile and would get along with them fine. But I'm afraid that she'll get killed by the new mice. What should I do? Is there anything specific I should look for in the pet store mice? I can't get them from a breeder. Thanks!! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Smile
Colors
Colors

Cancer Starving

https://weepingwillowf2016.wixsite.com/justgerbils

Back to top Go down

Want more mice, help?? Empty Re: Want more mice, help??

Post by Peachy Sun 18 Dec 2016, 7:25 pm

Welcome to the forum! Sorry you've had such hard times with your mice. Hopefully we can help out!

This page has some tips for picking healthy and friendly mice.
https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t6-bringing-your-new-mouse-home

How have you previously gone about introducing new mice to your existing mice? Do you quarantine and work on taming before you introduce new mice? Sometimes doing this stuff incorrectly can cause issues.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Colors Sun 18 Dec 2016, 8:17 pm

This would actually be the first time introducing new mice to an old mouse. Thanks for the link! Smile
Colors
Colors

Cancer Starving

Back to top Go down

Post by Colors Mon 19 Dec 2016, 5:44 am

Also, I don't even know if my parents would allow me more mice atm, I currently don't have an extra tank available. I think I can move my hermit crab to a smaller cage (especially since I'm doing terrible with him anyway) and take better care of him. He'd have deeper substrate and more humidity with a plastic container than with a tank.. Then I could get four mice, one to be a friend to my current mouse, Pretzel, and the three would go into the crab's old tank. That is, I'd have to research if it's cruel to move him to a container so small. But I think he would do better with more humidity no matter the size of cage.

I just realized that I don't have one of the essentials in my tank... A HOUSE. No wonder I'm having so much trouble. I feel like an awful mouse owner for not realizing that after two years!! I'm definitely going to buy more supplies next time I go to the pet store. Some toys and a house. I just can't believe I didn't realize that. Sad
Colors
Colors

Cancer Starving

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Mon 19 Dec 2016, 7:19 am

Mousecheeks wrote:. That is, I'd have to research if it's cruel to move him to a container so small.

Peachy about covered the mouse stuff, so I just wanted to pop in and recommend the Hermit Crab Association forum for up to date hermit crab care information. You may be surprised how much room/substrate a hermit crab really needs!  Also, tanks are great for keeping humidity!  If you're finding it hard, the trouble may actually be in your lid.  Our houses are rarely humid enough so it needs to be sealed up fairly tight, but still providing some air flow of course.  I also really, really recommend getting things good with the pets you already have before taking on any new ones.  But anywho, I'll stop being so off topic and let you find your way over at the HCA.  Good luck! Smile

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Colors Mon 19 Dec 2016, 11:07 am

Thank you, this is perfect Ear wiggle
Colors
Colors

Cancer Starving

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Mon 19 Dec 2016, 11:32 am

It looks like you've found some of the stickies, but I wanted to mention that there are introduction tips in Mouse Behavior and quarantine info in General Health. We've got useful stickies all over, hopefully they can help you build a healthy colony.

One other thing... when you pick out new mice, you may want to try selecting girls who are all about the same size as your current mouse. This evens things out a little while they work out their hierarchy.

Good luck! We'd love to see pictures if you have any to share. Smile
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Colors Mon 19 Dec 2016, 1:38 pm

Okay, that makes a lot of sense. I actually think I did try introducing new mice to old mice before.. not sure. But there were 3 big mice and 1 smaller mouse. The bigger mice did pick on the little mouse and she died awhile later. They literally made her go crazy. She was running in circles and I researched that. People said it was a neurological disorder that she was born with, but I think my mouse caused her brain to go wacky. Sad I will definitely follow these tips if I get more mice. First of all I have to ask my parents! Very Happy And I'm debating whether I want Gerbils instead.
Colors
Colors

Cancer Starving

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 19 Dec 2016, 3:14 pm

If you decide to get more mice, we will do ou best to help you have a successful introduction. I've never met a mouse that I couldn't get accepted into my colony. Sometimes is tricky and time consuming but always effective.

How old is the mouse you currently have alone? You might want to consider getting 2 mice for her and just keep one colony. Due to their social structure, mice do best in groups of three. Of course, this depends on if you have a tank to quarantine them for the weeks before introductions (which is true for any number of mice you get).

You mentioned that you don't have a hide away, what kind of things do you have in the tank? In the past, when you introduced new mice, did you just bring them home and put them in with the other mice? This almost always ends bad. I'm just trying to determine what you've done in the past so I can help have a better experience next time. We all make mistakes when we don't know better. I can tell you care about mice and want to do your best for them Smile

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse Mon 19 Dec 2016, 3:17 pm

CallaLily wrote:
Mousecheeks wrote:. That is, I'd have to research if it's cruel to move him to a container so small.

Peachy about covered the mouse stuff, so I just wanted to pop in and recommend the Hermit Crab Association forum for up to date hermit crab care information. You may be surprised how much room/substrate a hermit crab really needs!  Also, tanks are great for keeping humidity!  If you're finding it hard, the trouble may actually be in your lid.  Our houses are rarely humid enough so it needs to be sealed up fairly tight, but still providing some air flow of course.  I also really, really recommend getting things good with the pets you already have before taking on any new ones.  But anywho, I'll stop being so off topic and let you find your way over at the HCA.  Good luck! Smile

I second CallaLily's recommendation to head on over to the HCA for everything you need to know about keeping hermit crabs happy and healthy. We're both members on that site and have benefited from the depth of information (and great photos of members' tanks!) over the years. Check it out and your crab will thank you.

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/

MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Mon 19 Dec 2016, 8:31 pm

Mousecheeks wrote: She was running in circles  and I researched that. People said it was a neurological disorder that she was born with, but I think my mouse caused her brain to go wacky.

There's an article about circling here in the "Health Packet", if you're interested. https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t25-health-packet

Scaredymouse wrote:Sometimes is tricky and time consuming but always effective.

I think this is a very misleading statement. Maybe it's always been effective for you (and I think that's what you meant), but there are plenty of female mouse introductions that do fail. Even with all the advice followed and trying multiple times/ways.  I feel it's important for our new members to know that, even though it's unlikely, introductions do not always work. Some mice just don't get along and it's good to be prepared for that, just in case.  Smile

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 19 Dec 2016, 10:29 pm

You are absolutely right Callalily, I was writing that based on my experience this far, so if it came off differently- I'm glad you brought it up. There are females that just cannot get along. It happens enough, that its important to plan ahead for what you will do if your introductions don't work out. Female mice are tricky... But they are also pretty great ❤

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Colors Tue 20 Dec 2016, 11:56 am

Thanks everyone, but I've decided that I want to try Gerbils. I will definitely continue to get mice, though. I can't live without them!! Very Happy I will also continue to use this forum because I will hopefully always have mice in my care. So I'll keep on posting! Smile
Colors
Colors

Cancer Starving

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Tue 20 Dec 2016, 12:52 pm

Yay, gerbils are wonderful pets too! Glad to hear we'll still see you around. Smile

In the future, if you decide that you can only have one mouse, you should consider getting a male! They're fantastic companions, often proving to be more loving to their humans than female mice, and you won't have to worry about introductions or fighting because they usually have to live alone.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Tue 20 Dec 2016, 1:16 pm

I'm pretty sure we have some members with gerbil experience. You are welcome to start a thread in the members lounge (off topic area) to see if anyone can give you advice or point you in the right direction. Be sure to do your research first and have fun.

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next