Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is this cage too big for a lone male?

3 posters

Go down

Is this cage too big for a lone male? Empty Is this cage too big for a lone male?

Post by Squ3aker Wed 03 Apr 2019, 2:38 am

i'm thinking about getting a male mouse in the future, and i'm just wondering if the cage that i'm currently using to house my syrian hamster would be too big for a lone male? ive been reading around and seeing that some mice dont do that well in larger enclosures so i just wanted to make sure if this cage is an appropriate size for a boy or would i be better off getting something smaller? i dont want to get another cage if i dont have too, ya feel? lol

my current cage is a Living World Green Eco Habitat (MEDIUM) 95 x 55 x 49 cm (L x W x H)

i would need to make a few modifications to this cage (waterproof the wood, escape proof the lid/or make a new lid entirely) but basically i just want to know if this cage is suitable or should i look into getting myself a smaller cage like a 10/20 gallon tank or a bin cage?

thank you for any feedback ^^;

(i've never posted on a fourm before so if this post is in the wrong thread im so sorry)
Squ3aker
Squ3aker

Aries Pokemaster

Back to top Go down

Is this cage too big for a lone male? Empty Re: Is this cage too big for a lone male?

Post by Sparrow Wed 03 Apr 2019, 4:06 pm

Fair play to you on providing your Syrian Hamster with so much space! He definitely makes a great use of all of it!

As to housing a male mouse in it, it would be worth letting him try living in the cage for the first few weeks, any if you notice that he is not coming out at all, not playing, not eating and so on... I would change the cage then. Make sure it is packed almost to the point where no floor is uncovered. Mice love crowded spaces, even if you stack toys, that is like their dream haha.

Another option would be to store away the Current cage and get a 20 gallon tank instead, and then once the mouse is fully tame, move him over to the large enclosure. It can work wonders with mice, but they need to gain confidence with you first before they can be fully confident with their surroundings, especially if they are so large.

Best of Luck!
Sparrow
Sparrow

Chatty

Back to top Go down

Is this cage too big for a lone male? Empty Re: Is this cage too big for a lone male?

Post by CallaLily Wed 03 Apr 2019, 4:28 pm

It depends on your mouse! Many do great with more space, provided you crowd it with A LOT of hiding places and things to do. Some do better slowly worked up to the larger space. Occasionally you’ll get a mouse or group of mice that just don’t do well at all with more space. Might help to have a back up in case it doesn’t work out for your guy. Smile

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down